Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both the 9and 10 cd stereos and the volume knobs have become sticky to the touch and begun peeling off the black coating. How can I replace the volume knob by itself?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Mine has deteriorated so its good to know that pulling it off is the solution.
I'll peel off the black coating and just replace the knob it in its original gray.
I don't believe a good physical bond of new paint will adhere long, because this button is used all the time.
An alternative would be to make a new style button out of wood, plastic, aluminium and using a little set screw to keep it in place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The button as you know is internally illuminated, so all the gaps and cuts in the coating light up at night. Id just like to replace the knob with the same to retain the stock look.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm also in the market for a new/refinished knob, the paint on mine is completely worn away and chipping. From what I've see of used radios on the Bay, it's a common problem.

Do we know for sure the knob just pulls off? Mine seems tight as heck.

·
17,346 Posts
Why not Plasti-Dip it? It'll look stock and when it wears down (which, will take a long time considering the purpose you're using it for) you can just spray some more on?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We need a volunteer with a big Visegrip.
I think I still have a dead radio. If I remember I will look at it this weekend. It is mute in one ear. Or I am half deaf. Either way I can not hurt it any more.

If I remember. (Confidence is low.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Warning!

Do not attempt to remove the volume knob from the front of the radio! It doesn't come apart that way.

Brief synopsis:

~ Remove the radio from the car.

~ Remove the 4 T-8 Torx screws holding the black plastic face plate to the radio.

~ Pull the face forward and carefully remove two ribbon cables. The radio face is now free from the radio. (In hindsight you might be able to leave the cables intact, but I removed them).

~ Place the radio face face-down and remove the 12 T-6 Torx screws holding the circuit board to the radio face.

~ Lift the circuit board from the face, the volume knob slips onto the volume control that is soldered to the circuit board.

~ Keep the radio face face-down so the buttons don't all fall out.

The knob is twice as tall as what you see from the front and has a lip on it that sits behind the radio face to keep it in place.

Photo shows the knob and the switch on the face plate circuit board:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured it was more involved than just tugging the knob off. Thanks for the walk through snyderman.
Now, where do we get replacement knobs.?

·
Registered
67 Posts
No ! Don't Try to Pull it Off. IT DOESN'T PULL OFF !!! When I brought my 08 Pure 6 months ago it had the same issue with the black paint and the salesperson took a cloth with alcohol and a little elbow grease and took the remaining black paint off leaving a white/pearl knob that illuminates. Just work with it and you'll win. Happy Holidays.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts