Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I missing here? I have yet to feel any heat coming out of the dash vents. Is the heater supposed to work based on the temp selected on the climate control temperature dial or is there something else that needs to be turned on or adjusted? I haven't found anything in the owners manual that clarifies things.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
5 Posts
The heating system will automatically maintain a set temp based on the temp you have chosen on the dial. The system will adjust air temp and recirculation to maintain the temp in the cabin. The little black dot inter the mode adjustment knob is a temp sensor. A sure fire way to make HOT air come out is to move the temp lever up to the top.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but it could be different with the EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Are you asking about pre-heat (charge&depart), or heat while driving?

While driving, hot air should come out a few seconds after turning the fan on at least 1 and the temperature setting to something higher than the cabin temperature. If there is only cold air, the heater is broken (happened to someone here before).

Note that you can't get heat without the fan on (e.g. just from air coming through the vents) like you can in a gas car.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The only problem with the heat is that I wish it had a temperature setting cooler than 60F. When it is 5F outside, 60F is too warm, more than enough to provide defogging/de-icing and only wastes precious battery pack energy. I end up having to manually cycle the heat on and off.

Curious, what is the lowest temp setting in the (presumably Celsius) Canadian Smart ED's?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check and or replace your cabin air filter, it's easy, if you hear the fan working it's butt off but don't feel any air coming out of the vents, this will be your problem....Hope this helps! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks. I have turned the fan on with the temp gauge set around 75 and I get nothing but cool air. Car only has 3000 miles on it, so I doubt the cabin filter needs a change yet. And I am talking about getting warm air when driving the car, not the pre-heat deal. Maybe my heater system is broken - next trip to the dealer won't be until July, so I'll just live with it through the winter unless someone has a link to a fix. Thanks goodness I'm in North Carolina and not Wisconsin. :)

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
527 Posts
My ED blows lava-hot when dial set to 26C (the max). I set the heater to min or max, never in between, and change the fan speed to adjust the heat/cooling. For me, that works well, as when I'm cold, I want hot hot air blowing, and when I'm hot, I want the arctic in my car immediately...

·
Registered
68 Posts
How does the heat and AC work on the electric cars? Obviously on a gas engine it heats the water and the water goes through a heater core where a fan blows air across it and into the car and the AC has a compressor and freon to make cool air when the engine is running. Does a EV have a belt that turns a compressor when you want AC? Just asking because I just purchased a 2014 with 3,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The ED has an electric AC compressor (sort-of like your home AC unit). Heat comes from an electric heating cartridge in the air duct (sort-of like your home space-heater).

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good suggestion to check the fuse. Just did that and it appeared to be okay. Just looked at it in place. This is the fuse I need to check right:

¡ Coolantpump,electricdrivecomponents,HV interior PTC heater passenger compartment, windshield unit car2go
10 A Red

So would there be any of those other components that would make it obvious that the fuse was blown? I notice no other issues.

I also tried SmartElectric's idea of setting the temp gauge to MAX with the fan on - still nothing but cold air.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I try to do all the work on my own cars, so I have no trouble digging into the issue once I know where to look. I've attached a few under dash photos here:

https://smartcarunderdash.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

If you can point out to me where I need to be looking, I'd appreciate that. It's through forums like this one that I've not had to have to take any of my cars to a repair shop in a long time.

The car is still under warranty, but it's not going to be until about July before I take it in for the annual battery check and deal with any warranty issues. The reason for that is that it is 130 miles to my dealer and I'll likely have to have it towed all or part of the way.

Thanks for all the input folks - much appreciated.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since your car only has 3k miles on it, why not just take it back to the dealer?
My friend's Smart EV had the same problem, he took it back and the dealer fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since your car only has 3k miles on it, why not just take it back to the dealer?
My friend's Smart EV had the same problem, he took it back and the dealer fixed it.
No doubt that would be my first choice since the car is still under warranty. However, read my post above - taking it to the dealer is not convenient or easy to do. Love it if it was an easy and cheap fix I could handle. Otherwise I'll likely turn the seat heaters up to high for the next month and suck it up until it goes in for its battery service in July or August.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine appears to blow just as hot at a high as a low setting as long as the interior temperature is below the setting.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Len,

You should be aware that the heater element is high-voltage i.e.main pack voltage (400V or so) not just 12 volts. Any wires that have bright orange sheaths are high voltage.

The Smart ED factory service manual (by paid subscription) is here: A one-day subscription is $60.00, an one-year subscription is $3098.00!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Look in the left side floor of the passengers footwell.

On the gas Smarts, there is a temp sensor there. It gets kicked really easily, and may be unplugged (if present)...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I used a company called Montway Auto Transport to ship a car to Chicago. 900 miles, $500...
Pickup was a Wal-Mart parking lot, delivery was a college football parking lot. With most 18 wheel car carriers, the seventh car puts them overweight...
A Smart just might squeeze in...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts