Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Agree, not worth it. Been there, done that - you always run out of gas somewhere that's unsafe. Do that intentionally, and if there's an accident because of your stalled car, you're ethically and possibly legally liable. Feel free to test in an area with no traffic, with a gallon can of gas in the back. Assuming running dry doesn't harm/age the pump, that is.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Running the fuel pump dry could lead to damage of the pump. The fuel is used to cool and "lube" the innerds of it. Not worth it IMHO.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Definitely not worth it as it can cause your fuel pump to go out.:eek:
Fuel around pump aids in cooling of the pump.
Running the fuel pump dry could lead to damage of the pump. The fuel is used to cool and "lube" the innerds of it. Not worth it IMHO.
WoW! You two think alike and I was thinking the same thing but didn't say it. :rolleyes: I've got a spare fuel pump tucked away waiting for one of mine to go bad. :eek:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
That's kinda' an expensive item to have tucked away, isn't it?
Got it when that guy gutted a brand spanking new car then sold the parts here cheap. Haven't seen the movie or TV show that the donor car was used in - they blew it up.

I've only done about ten miles past 0.0.:eek:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
If the fuel system "zeroes" out at 8.7 gallons, then you've got 1.3 gallons of reserve to go: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...08-gallons-yes-i-took-tank-out-car-lol-27907/

Regards,

Dan
It doesn't mean you can get every drop out of the car. The tank is shallow and flat with some oddities to the shape. And if you believe that you can get 10 gallons out of it, the question remains, How Far can YOU go past 0.0, Not how far are you willing to tell others to go past 0.0

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/incredibly-accurate-smart-gas-gauge-25014/

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Different people will different results - they are not consistent!

I've gone 20 miles past 0.0 before fill up.

But I also only made it 16 miles past 0.0 before running out of gas (incline, sweltering, A/C off, windows open, highway speeds) which was also 72 miles past the last opportunity for gas. Thanks to SmartUSA for the in-warranty roadside assistance!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This last winter when mileage was worse, I went 38 miles past 0.0 when I made a sharp turn and the engine sputtered so I stopped and added 1 gal that I had with me. I might have made it to the nearest station (about 3 miles) but I figured that was good enough. At the station I added 9.1 gal topped off, (yeah I know I'm not supposed to but....).So ,9.1 +1=10.1 topped off minus the 3 miles to the station:p Allowing for different driving habits (I was driving for mileage but not hypermiling) it can be done but drive slower than normal.It might go farther in warm weather.:eek:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
WoW! You two think alike and I was thinking the same thing but didn't say it. :rolleyes: I've got a spare fuel pump tucked away waiting for one of mine to go bad. :eek:
Learned the hard way on my 1982 Fiat spider. Gas guage was stuck (unknowingly) at 1/4 tank and ran it out. Filled up the car after and no go: pump fried. At the time that pump was $300 and change AND easy to get to (under the car). I couldn't even imagine that on the smart:eek:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I almost made it to the gas station?

Last summer, there was a horrible thunderstorm in the DC area.
Power out everywhere, trees down, etc.
I was driving my smart and noticed the flashing fuel reserve icon.
Drove around trying to find a gas station that was open, had power and was pumping gas.
The countdown reached 0.0 and I was starting to panic.
As I recall, I went about 12 miles after 0.0?
Then the poor little smart died.
Turns out it was only 2 blocks from an open, lit, working station?
Had to buy a new gas can for $10 and then walk back to my smart and then drive in and fill up all the way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts