Smart Car of America Forum banner

How I got my clutch replaced - for those having problems

15K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  kwtoml 
#1 ·
Well, after 9 months of dealing with intermittent reverse problems, and two dealerships (neither one where I bought it) unable to replicate, I found the posts on this site about the clutch problems in some 2008 builds. 2 weeks before warranty was out, I went back to my local dealer for the clutch problems. They were not familiar with the issue, and they were unable to replicate any problems with my car. Nothing was fixed.

At this point I was very upset. Somewhere I got the advice to call smartusa, and I did. I called smartusa, and asked for assistance. They opened a case for me, documenting the trips to the dealer, and the lack of problem duplication. After 3 weeks of calling smartusa every 2nd or 3rd day, one of the representatives pointed me to speak with her manager. Last week, I spoke to him multiple times, each time with a little less cool than the time before. By this point in the ordeal, I found the posts here, knew the problem, but could not get the attention - and now my warranty had run out.

The last time I spoke to smartusa, the manager promised to get back to me by Friday. In the interim I spoke to the dealership where I purchased the car (relocation between then and now), explained the problem, and he told me to bring it in - they knew of the issue. He also told me there is a TIPS case on this problem, and any smart dealer can look it up. Smartusa has access to this database, and can also get this information. UNfortunately, I live too far away to go to this dealer, so I was stuck with my local and smartusa.

Finally my local dealership called me to schedule an appointment to review the car. I took it in yesterday. When I went in, I was armed with two videos of the car misbehaving. One from my cell phone, and one from my digital camera. Two videos of two occurrences. I provided the lead tech the videos, and he said he would research.

Today I picked up my car, complete with new clutch! Covered under warranty! I am thankful that smartusa did the right thing, but mad as can be it took this level of effort to get it resolved. To boot, I was put in an '09 cabrio loaner. Nice to tool around for a few days in a rag top. Glad to have my coupe back. On the way out of the shop tonight, my service adviser told me a second '08 came into the shop with the same problems. Low and behold they had their second clutch job in one week, after never seeing one before. Go figure!

Sorry about the length. I hope this helps someone that might be suffering this fate, to get the car fixed under warranty - as it should be.

J.

See less See more
#5 ·
Mine's an 09, and I've had the issue where it's gone blank on the display and refused to go into rev...or any gear for that matter. Only once have I had it happen so far. Next time it happens I'm doing video. I have one of the dealers that likes to see it replicated before they touch it. How nice.

#6 ·
Kudos to those whose smart centers recognized the issue. Mine did not. Claimed they had never seen one till mine went bust. This was such a huge hassle, it left a bad residue with me. Then to hear that they got their second clutch replacement the next day, not what I wanted to hear.

#8 ·
The fact that this problem hasn't been publicized and selective recalls initiated for the VINs that must be known does not speak well of the new boss at smartUSA. This situation should be the #1 question for Jill Lajdziak at the sc Bloomfield deal on 20 MAR.

I can see where the dealer network may not be able to handle an unorganized rush of year's worth of production, but they should begin calling in the oldest affected vehicles first and in some orderly fashion.

#9 ·
Your new smart center service sucks. If they don;t know about the problem then they are not paying attention. It has been a year since they have been replacing clutches around the country.

And all of those that replace them Know that it is an intermitent problem that can not be reproduced every time. Just like a runaway Toyota

#12 · (Edited)
TIPS is their internal database for problems with smart cars. All the dealers are supposed to be using it. It helps them identify trends in car problems. Not sure what the actual letters stand for. I have had a few started on my cars...

9 months with a problem?? I don't think I would have gone that long. You have a lot of patience.

#16 ·
Stopped by my dealer in Winston-Salem NC today to discuss the clutch issue; mine has acted up a couple times. My service mgr did know about the problem but seem to think it was rare, saying they had only done one, he thought. After talking to the technician he said I should go ahead and schedule mine in for replacement. About some reluctant dealers, his reply was that Smart is awfully tight fisted on paying them what it takes to do the job. Said they only got paid 2 hours and it could well take longer, thus some dealers simply didn't want to bother.

#17 ·
Stopped by my dealer in Winston-Salem NC today to discuss the clutch issue; mine has acted up a couple times. My service mgr did know about the problem but seem to think it was rare, saying they had only done one, he thought. After talking to the technician he said I should go ahead and schedule mine in for replacement. About some reluctant dealers, his reply was that Smart is awfully tight fisted on paying them what it takes to do the job. Said they only got paid 2 hours and it could well take longer, thus some dealers simply didn't want to bother.
That explians alot, then.:rolleyes:

#20 ·
I had a similar issue -my smart would intermittently not engage any gear, and the dash indicator would go blank. Smartcenter Chandler (AZ) diagnosed it as a clutch issue (they were able to locate an error code) and replaced the clutch in a day, with a free loaner car. The car shifts much better, with the shifts feeling tighter and quicker to engage. Mine is an 2008, an there appears to be enough knowledge of the issue both online at the dealers.

#21 ·
Winston-Salem MB didnt check my VIN; they took my word about the couple of times it happened and said schecule it in for replacement whenever it was convenient for me. No reluctance on their part. If their work is as good as their attitude, they'll get a big thumbs up from me. The only work I've had done was a new key program and only got charged for 1/2 hr labor. That speaks well of them as they could just as easily charged for a full hour and I wouldnt' have known the diff.

#23 ·
Per my smart dealer (Catena in Edison, NJ), the issue with the clutch is VIN specific. It was stated that they got this straight from smart. Perhaps some of you having troubles getting the dealer to perform service don't have an affected VIN? I was told that my vehicle was not one of the cars with the bad clutch even though it is a 2009 built during 2008.

#29 ·
Mine is June 08 build date. Thanks to tip from Old Smart I told dealership I had some kind of clutch issue and Virginia Beach Smart said "bring it in and we'll replace the clutch disk". It was that easy and no hassle at all. Also replaced the sun shade with one that actually works.

#31 ·
December 2007 build date, so I don't buy the 'limited recall', or the 'vin range'. The NJ dealer is blowing smoke up your skirt. Have them verify TIPS cases on the clutch problem. If that don't work, call smartusa and open a case.
read my original post, do that and you'll have a shot where your dealer fails. PM me if you have questions.

Good luck.

#32 ·
I've had several occurances of no reverse also........ and when I looked down, the "R" wasn't lit......... because the shifter wasn't fully in reverse. Which, coincidentally, was exactly what the dealer told me was happening, without me mentioning the no reverse/no light part. I may live to regret this, but I'm not having anyone mess with the trans or clutch if it's not doing something stupid. And, by the way..... no dealer will turn down warranty work. It's guaranteed income, and a good tech can beat the book time wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.