Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
After owning 1 Smart car, a 2009 Passion Coupe, for 1 year I bought a second one (a 2009 cabrio) and now that's all that my wife and I drive.

Given that I now have two Smart cars and the warranty is about to expire on the first one at 24 K miles I am wondering whether or not it would be wise to purchase an extended warranty.

How long can I expect my Smart cars to last before it requires expensive repairs to engine, transmision, clutch, suspention, etc.?

Is there anyone out there that has a 451 with greater than 100,000 (100 K miles) and were there many problems along the way.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
The 451 model was introduced in late 2007/2008. There is only one I have heard of with high miles and I'm sure he will chime in.

Take a look at some of the posts and the problems that have come up, not many problems and few serious problems. Take good care of them and they will last a long time.
Just about every car I have ever owned have gone over 200K miles.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I agree with jimvw, not too many of us over the 100k mark, but I have seen a few here. From what I have seen, the number of major repairs has been very small. I think for what smart chages for the extended warranty that you are paying a lot for what you may actually use. If your 2009 is an early 2009, mine was made in Jan, 2009, you may want to make sure that the clutch has had the upgrade that they did to the 2008's. I hope you have as much fun with your cabrio as I have with mine. Let the fun continue

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
You are posting on a thread that is 6 years old. Have not heard of many clutches that only lasted 80K miles. there must have been something that caused it to fail.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You are posting on a thread that is 6 years old. Have not heard of many clutches that only lasted 80K miles. there must have been something that caused it to fail.
Bubble Buster. >:D

You ruined my "got trolled by a zombie thread again" head banging.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just turned 97,000 miles,just brakes twice,plugs one time,two set of tires,getting ready to replace the belts and hoses.Nothing major.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Every vehicle I've owned has gotten to the high mileage category , I've wrenched on all of my longterm vehicles and just by my early hands on with my 2017 453 (exchanging exhaust and pulling struts for spring replacement ) the design and execution seems well done. No cheap parts or odd widgets in th build . I do expect it to hang with the long termers with ease .

·
Registered
1 Posts
wondering the same

My Smart Car is about to hit 80k when I go on vacation this memorial day weekend. In the first year of owning my smartie it has costed me less than $100 a month to maintain it with gasoline, oil, and insurance. What can I expect to have come up in the next 50k miles?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got 149689 on my 09 Brabus Cabrio.
B

After owning 1 Smart car, a 2009 Passion Coupe, for 1 year I bought a second one (a 2009 cabrio) and now that's all that my wife and I drive.

Given that I now have two Smart cars and the warranty is about to expire on the first one at 24 K miles I am wondering whether or not it would be wise to purchase an extended warranty.

How long can I expect my Smart cars to last before it requires expensive repairs to engine, transmision, clutch, suspention, etc.?

Is there anyone out there that has a 451 with greater than 100,000 (100 K miles) and were there many problems along the way.

Tony
v

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts
Maintenance , maintenance, will get you those miles you seek .
I got a quasi-dead smart and by doing all the typical maintenance which had been neglected by the young (spoiled) owner who got it for free from Daddy, the car has come back to life. This car seems to require just a few things but they are essential:
1. Clean, uncorroded ground wires
2. All air and oil Filters and fluids changed on time
3. Correct fuel, not cheap junk
4. Drive belts changed per intervals
5. Proper lubrication of any grease points

Once these things were done, the car came back like a roaring lion. I plan to keep it that way.

I compare it to the cat that I adopted. It had been abused, and only took so much in its former household. When the Pit Bull pup aggressively abused it, the pup got two enormous scratches from an eight pound 11 year old cat that sent it whimpering away. And I got the call to shelter the cat.

One month of TLC and the cat is fine.
She still doesn't do the crosswords well, but that will come with time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts