Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Not unreasonable for me to keep a vehicle that long.

My other ride celebrated it's 30th birthday this past July. It's my current project that is nearing completion:

I've owned this truck since I was a senior in High School(24 years)...:D

·
Registered
511 Posts
In theory, as long as you replace parts and as long as parts are findable or available.
Closest thing I can think of is VW beetle or bug many from 1962 are still around and
running, and that is what 51 years. So still around in 2058.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The car I have owned the longest so far has been with me for 25 years and will be with me until I am dead. So it is also planned for my second - my current - smart, which has only been with me for ~4 years.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I have stockpiled enough spare parts to keep both of my smarts going for at least as long as I want them to...:wink:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
When I bought my '88 Festiva in the Fall of 1987 folks said it was a throw-away car good for less than 100K miles. Several years passed and folks were racking up +/- 200K miles and getting 40 mpg! While some smart owners have had bad luck with the valve issue, others have really piled on the miles. Whatever you think about Mercedes otherwise, they probably support their older models better and longer than any other mass producer of autos. I have less trouble getting parts for my 1977 230 gasser than folks owning other brands a fraction of that age.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is a Camaro in my garage that's 45 years old and it looks great. Both of my Isuzu's are '88s. My next door neighbor has a pole barn full of Willy's Jeeps that date back on average to '53 or before and a WWII MB that was made in '42. Most are drivers. Time will tell. My concern is the computers on newer cars. We are rapidly reaching the point of planned and scheduled obsolescence. You take your car to the dealer to get if fixed and get: "I'm sorry sir but you have a Windows XP car and we are no longer allowed to work on that software. The government won't let us. We are only allowed to work on Windows 12 and above cars. I'm sorry but we are required to erase that software and disable the car and junk it. We'd be happy to sell you a new 2025 Smart pure for only $125,000!":eek:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oh, I finally figured this whole thing out at work today!

Our smart cars will not last 45 years. The car they picture is actually a model year 2046 Smart Pure Coupe. Yes, the model still is barely changed! :D

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...yes we have...mainly the knees and elbows of some of the guys here...Z06 lite...Barmey...and add wrist and pelvis for Dr KillerBee....

Jetfuel...WD 40 by the case...

·
Registered
511 Posts
A question occurs: I too, would like to have enough spare parts to keep my smartie running from now on. Say you buy a complete engine (i've seen them on Ebay). What is the prodcedure for preserving said engine until yours croaks? I know people winterize or prepare for storage cars. But what I've seen are just engines with the extras. How to keep that engine working or workable until reality shows finally bite it?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
..to preserve for long term storage you need to drain the oil and fill the oil filter with 10 weight oil...the same oil used to preserve the fuel system by pushing/filling all the lines....place the engine in a large bag with desiccant bags and vacuum seal the bag...place some moisture indicators outside the bag and monitor every few months...

Jetfuel...easy....

·
Registered
511 Posts
fill the oil filter....the engine is not running. ..seems that will preserve the oil filter quite well...how does that help out the rest of the engine. Not arguing, just asking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts