Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I set out to buy a used 453 smartcar, the manual transmission was a feature on the top of my list. I marked them off if they did not have the 5 speed. And they were very hard to find. I finally got one and love it. It is a hoot to drive, plus it keeps me more alert.

I recently read an article that in Europe the majority of all cars still have manual transmissions, but it the U.S. it has dropped below 10 percent. People are missing out. Cars, particular small cars, are really a lot more fun to drive with a five speed. And today's five speeds are so easy to shift-- they practically slide over to the next gear for you.

Brent Craig
Hartselle, AL

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
When I set out to buy a used 453 smartcar, the manual transmission was a feature on the top of my list. I marked them off if they did not have the 5 speed. And they were very hard to find. I finally got one and love it. It is a hoot to drive, plus it keeps me more alert.

I recently read an article that in Europe the majority of all cars still have manual transmissions, but it the U.S. it has dropped below 10 percent. People are missing out. Cars, particular small cars, are really a lot more fun to drive with a five speed. And today's five speeds are so easy to shift-- they practically slide over to the next gear for you.

Brent Craig
Hartselle, AL
5 speed manuals... useless when compared to DCT's. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
5 speed manuals... useless when compared to DCT's. :nerd:
Having driven both the DCT 453, and my 5-speed.... Even if I didn't prefer manual over auto, I'd still take the manual. Just don't like how the auto shifted... Or sometimes didn't want to downshift without making the pedal to the kick-down point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Having driven both the DCT 453, and my 5-speed.... Even if I didn't prefer manual over auto, I'd still take the manual. Just don't like how the auto shifted... Or sometimes didn't want to downshift without making the pedal to the kick-down point.

It should downshift at least one gear if you deliberately give solid pressure. I did a kickdown shift last night that went from 6 to 3, and that was in manual mode but too lazy to engage the console shifter or the paddles. That was a forceful kickdown pedal engagement. Less pressure would have forced a 6-5 or 6-4 shift, but quickly tapping the floor kickdown switch forced a 6-3 shift.

You'd rather have sacrifice 6th gear to manually engage your 5 gears? :eek:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It should downshift at least one gear if you deliberately give solid pressure. I did a kickdown shift last night that went from 6 to 3, and that was in manual mode but too lazy to engage the console shifter or the paddles. That was a forceful kickdown pedal engagement. Less pressure would have forced a 6-5 or 6-4 shift, but quickly tapping the floor kickdown switch forced a 6-3 shift.

You'd rather have sacrifice 6th gear to manually engage your 5 gears? :eek:
.... Well, I didn't buy a 5-speed for nothin. Haha. Besides, not like we're completely missing out on much. Can't imagine there being that drastic a gear ratio difference between the manual 5th gear and the auto 6th.

Also wasn't a fan of how it would kind of try to lurch forward if you didn't have very firm pressure on the brake pedal.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts