Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking through a few threads regarding Hams and Ham Radio.

We should start a thread of all Ham callsigns.

Ken, KM6YH - Brea, CA:sunshine:

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
I thought that this was about ham! :)

BTW - What's a ham radio, something like CB? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
OOOOOOOOH! Now that's waaaaaay cooler than CB!!

It looks a little confusing at 1st, but I think I can learn. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts

I started as a teenager with a sideband CB like this one....you could do it for almost nothing really....you don't need any fancy radio to start.
I eventually started spending all my time on it, but it was a cool way to learn geography, French and Spanish, and I have made nearly all my international friends this way. I eventually got a ham license and did some other types of radio too. It a fun thing to do. I think I paid $20 for my first set up. Might be just a little more to get started these days. You can talk to Australia with this easy, right out of your car.

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
I started as a teenager with a sideband CB like this one....you could do it for almost nothing really.... right out of your car.
We had a CB during our trip to Florida 8 years ago. It was a great way to pass the time by talking to others that had CBs (mostly other RVs and truckers)
It took 2 days due to the Camper trailer that we towed and the frequent rest stops.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I used to have my cert back before college, but let it lapse and never re-took the exam. I hear the MC portion has been dropped now, so I may get it next time there's a ham-fest in town. It took me 3 times as a kid to get the MC portion, and that's when my hearing and memory skills were at their peek. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ham radio since I was a 10 yr old kid.

Hooked up my electric train transformer to a model T coil, then to my long wire crystal radio antenna, and went on the AIR! :D

Still love radio. A2Jack.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I'm not a ham, but some have called me a turkey. :) Sorry couldn't resist saying that since over two pages of conversation not one person said that.

Never had one, the most I ever had was a CB in my cars back in the 80's. :( Lots of different units, this was before cell phones and if I broke down I found it was a good way to get help if needed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts