Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
_. .._ _ _ _ _ _ . _ _ . . _ _ _ for those who do not know Morse Code I am N2OPJ or some ones phonetics No Two Old Pile of Junk Say we got to get a net together for some fun see you on 14.070 to 14.072
Patiently waiting for a Smart ED

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use my ham radio for my duties as a Kitsap County ACS (an ARES/RACES thing) volunteer, a stage rally official and a bicycle SAG wagon volunteer.

KE7RUJ
Alan
Bainbridge Island, WA

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you become a ham radio operator?
Get a license. Buy a radio (optional).

In the US, there are three level of licenses and you take a test to get a license.

To get a sense of what the tests are like, check out QRZ.COM Ham Radio Practice Tests. You can take classes on all this.

I studied the Technician Class sample tests until I could answer all questions correctly. After I took the test, got my license and bought my radio(s), I figured out the practical aspects of being a ham radio operator by volunteering for a lot of local community service activities.

alan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are the classes expensive? Are the radios expensive?
I haven't taken any classes, so I don't know. I have heard the prices described as 'nominal'.

Check out Getting Licensed for more info.

Most of the radios seem to come from Japan, so, with the falling dollar, they are more expensive now than they were when I got mine. I needed dual-band (2m and 70cm), which is a little more expensive. My handheld radio is around $200 now and my mobile radio is around $400 now. Spent another $75 or so for an antenna and hatchback mount for the mobile radio.

Obviously used equipment costs less.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Got my license in 1955 Had a house fire in 1972 lost my rig in the fire. In those days you had to have time on your lic. to renew. I have a commercial lic. And even tho they probably would have never checked I wasn’t going to take a chance and end up loosing my commercial lic, over my ham ticket. I noticed the FCC finally reassigned my call sing recently K5CPO.
Ken

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hello from Charleston, W4CSC.....

Been a ham since I was 11, 1957. Hello to all the other ham smarties.. Not very active any more because of the internet, though. I keep the license current with Charleston's vanity call for emergency comms and special events.

I was a CBer as soon as it was invented, building Heathkits and KnightKits for friends and familes as a kid. I built so many Heathkit CB 4-transistor walkies I could have one from kit to air in about an hour without the instructions...(c;] Every kid in our little town had one that replaced our American Morse Kid Network telegraph system, unless we were talking about something we didn't want the adults to hear when we used American Morse and our clickers on a single wire strung across the town.

73 DE W4CSC/M4
We hams should NEVER have bought a Smart! If you run ham radio above QRP you'll destroy its computer system! Plastic body parts make horrible RF shields for sensitive computer circuits. I also think it might be quite dangerous to the car to be running it in intense HF fields from a good linear at home, too! Man would that be EXPENSIVE to fix!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Angela amd i are both Hams and have been for about 15 years. Both with advanced tickets. (Canadian). We are generally only on 2 meter VHF but use 70 cm UHF between vehicles etc. Used to do a little moon bounce in the 90's . Kinda fun.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
KF5IGE
Been a Ham since 1968, 15 yrs old. Let my license expire by accident, but took all 3 levels of testing this summer and now have my extra class license.

Jediknight: Contact your local Ham Club. Go to the ARRL website (www.arrl.com). They have a list of clubs as well as information on how to get your license. Most clubs sponsor testing and some offer classes.

PM me if you want more information.
Jim,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Last active as KL7CGC, in 1961. Wow -- 50 years ago.

I earned my license to provide the only means for me and my 15-man crew on our tiny little island in Alaska to occasionally communicate with home, during our 12-month uninterrupted and unaccompanied tour of duty.

Thanks to all you amateur operaters in the lower-48 who obliged with phone patches, all at your own expense. That one phone patch to my wife when my first son was born was the highlight of my year on isolated duty.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
KY HAM

KG4ZPZ out of Louisville, KY

I have a 2009 new-to-me Passion - red with red interior. Lots of mods coming - one is my dual band Yaesu with a Diamond NR-770HA / Diamond HRKS Adhesive Backed Antenna Mount.

I am also a member of the local ARES club. Good to see other HAMs out there with smarts!

Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! This is SA6AVT from Sweden and I have a smart for two pure 2013, white/black. I am using a very simple small magnet foot 144/430 antenna placed on the right steel frame just behind the right door. A thin koax runs through the door opening along the roof inside and ends at the windshield where I have my 5W handy KG-UV1P in a modifyed cell phone holder. The monophone hangs on the rear mirror. The radio is supplied with 7,2 V from a car adaptor with lighter plug on. This setup works really fine! I have measured the antenna with a instrument and the SWR beats a 4-band roof-top mount antenna on 144/430 MHz.
Best 73 from SA6AVT Göran

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Quote Hippie101:(I have an 06 Pulse that I put a Diamond NR-770HA with a Diamond HRKS Adhesive Backed Antenna Mount. I bought it from AES in Las Vegas when we were there year before last. I put it on the top center just far enough so that back glass can come up all the way. It's not like having one on a metal roof, but it works good for not having a counter poise.)

My cat has that! He is not allowed on the kitchen counter.
If for some reason he does not hear me coming down the stairs, he is usually poised on the counter. :D

My brother is a ham in more ways than one. He has decided to focus on his Morse Code proficiency and is getting up there in speed about 15 words per minute. He says there is a break at 20 wpm. When you achieve 20wpm it means you KNOW the code. Here is a link of the transceiver he purchased from the local club. It is apparently gifted with some outstanding filtering that lets one trap out all kinds of interference.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts940s.html
I will have to ask him for his call sign up in Minnesota.

·
Registered
11 Posts
K9YAP here. The real question is, what solutions for mounting a VHF/UHF to a non-groun plane plastic Smart body? I'd love to find something that could match the factory radio antenna (Since I don't listen to terrestial radio)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
K9YAP here. The real question is, what solutions for mounting a VHF/UHF to a non-groun plane plastic Smart body? I'd love to find something that could match the factory radio antenna (Since I don't listen to terrestial radio)
Old WB6 call here had it for decades, finally let it go a few years back .

Antenna guy here, was in the VHF/UHF antenna Mfg business for years.

Antennas, especially short Uhf/Vhf, want a ground plane. The size of the Smart's metal parts are almost a perfect "Tune" for those frequencies.

Mount your antenna thru the tow hook hole it will pick up an almost perfect ground plane. Borrow a Bird VSWR meter and clip your antenna to resonance.

All done. 73's A2Jack

41 - 60 of 60 Posts