Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts where some folks have mentioned the dreaded transmission issue where when one goes from P to R or D, it remains in N. I myself have had this happen to me 3 times so far but how many of you have not had this happen? Just curious I guess. For those who have experienced this issue, one thing I have noticed is that when going from P to R (this is when looking at my dashboard display), I'll see N for a quick second and then it'll go to R. Strange.. Yes/No?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
From my experience as a dealer, the major factor for this is switching between D and R either too fast, or while still moving?

If you are manuevering to get into a parking space and are rolling forward and then slam into Reverse, the trans gets confused (I am going forward, but I should be going backward?) and shuts down till you reteach it which gear is what.

The easiest way to stop this from happening is to actually STOP before you shift?
(Sounds simple, but after many years of dealing with true automatic transmissions, it is second nature to shift into one gear while still rolling slowly in the opposite direction?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey folks, thank you so much for posting. Appreciate it! :)
@jwight.. My car is a 2009. Bought is used 9 months ago, excellent condition at 17k miles.
@wrumbarger.. My car was in P position. All 3 times, I had been driving for a while, came to a full stop, shut of the engine and when restarting moments later, I could not get it into R or D, only N would show on the dashboard display. Somewhat frustrating to say the least. I'd have to wait a good 20 minutes, start the car and all would be good.

·
17,346 Posts
I've had this problem happen a couple times, and all times was because I was a little careless:

1. One time, I just didn't disengage Park all the way, and it indicated Neutral. It freaked me out until I discovered I only moved the shifter halfway to Reverse,

2. Another time, I actually put it into Reverse, but I put forward pressure on the shift knob (mine's an eight ball) and put into the Neutral dead zone.

But yeah, otherwise unless I do something out of line, it will always engage Reverse and every other gear. :)

From my experience as a dealer, the major factor for this is switching between D and R either too fast, or while still moving?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
OK, it can also happen if you are driving and park and shut off your car too soon.

Pull into a parking space, slam into P and turn off ignition and pull the key.

The onboard computer wants you to do things in exact steps?

Pull into space. . . shift into P. . . turn off ignition.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It is normal to see an N displayed between any gear change including park.
I've never had a transmission error displayed. Mine was made in 09.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've read several posts where some folks have mentioned the dreaded transmission issue where when one goes from P to R or D, it remains in N. I myself have had this happen to me 3 times so far but how many of you have not had this happen? Just curious I guess. For those who have experienced this issue, one thing I have noticed is that when going from P to R (this is when looking at my dashboard display), I'll see N for a quick second and then it'll go to R. Strange.. Yes/No?

Thanks!

When it gets stuck in N, how do you end up getting it unstuck? My previous 2009 and current 2012 have never shown this issue unless I did something like shifting while the car was still slightly rolling (R to D, for example). Even then, it goes into the correct gear or mode as soon as the wheels stop moving.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Three smarts, a 2008 owned for 5 years, a 2009 owned for one year, and a 2012 currently in it's second year.
Never had that occur in any of my smarts.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...shifting a smart car into a gear that is the opposite of the direction of car movement is NOT a smart move...the car will let you know right away....it sounds like if you just run over a cinder block...

Jetfuel...twice was enough to cure me...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could certainly rule out changing gears when the car is rolling. I have never done this with the Smart or any other vehicle. One thing that comes to mind though is that the second time it happened, I had just washed the car. I wonder if that lead to this issue. Now I'm probably becoming paranoid :D. Thanks again for all your feedback folks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
All of that simply proves that the fault is not with the car; but with the driver. Way back when, they would have heard the sound of grinding gears, but many now have no idea of how to drive a standard shift vehicle with a clutch pedal on the floor. Even more, have no idea of how to drive a crash-box, non-synchronized, transmission from before the middle of the last century. Then, there was the Model T with three pedals ......... :)
Now, where did I put that crank?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
So, Smartiez, what year is your smart? 08's 09's and even 2010's did not get the latest software that increases clutch pressure that eliminates this condition. Check with your smart center to determine if there is a software update available for your vehicle. If there is, it would be worth the cost if there is a charge for it. Should be no charge if still under warranty, and a few very special dealers do not charge for it even out of warranty.
I would highly recommend any available updates. Just my 2 cents. :p

1 - 20 of 62 Posts