Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in your tailgate storage?

i have a scissors jack, wheel chock, jumper cables, tire patch kit, a better tire pump, breaker bar/lug wrench, tarp to sit on the ground, rope, hand cleaner and towel to clean hands, oil, custom made lug bolt starter to hang the wheel on when putting lugs in, extra bright emergency flasher

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You tried the pump that comes with the car, and it's inadequate? Tire patch or tire plug kit? I have tire plug kit and Safety Plus package in the tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Dang man you're prepped for anything. :)

I keep a tyre pump and a curtain rod in mine. I use the curtain rod to prop open the engine bay carpet (I don't trust that plastic hook to stay attached forever).

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I had a smart OEM tire jack, and lug wrench in the cargo door. Tire plugs, in glove department. Used them once. Other wise, the same. iPhone in my pocket. One call, let someone else get dirty.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have curtain rod for the same thing. a tire plug kit with c02 cartridges and a FAST tire pump in the c02 wasn't enough.

i don't know if roadside will plug a tire or not.....will they?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Do you keep a jack and wrench to change a tire? If so do you keep a spare? Or is it just your mind on auto pilot..?
I'm guessing it is for ease of access to plug a nail hole, to remove the tire/wheel first. Never thought of the limited access there, in particular if the tire is deflated, plus mine has/had (waiting to see if it's salvaged or repaired), mudflaps...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
i don't know if roadside will plug a tire or not.....will they?
I think they'll tow you to a tire place. (Plugs are considered "unsafe"). I've used them on the edge of the tread a couple of times and they work decently even there. Try getting the rubber cement they sell at Walmart and add it to the plug just before inserting for a better seal.

BTW- I noticed NOBODY, including me, mentioned pliers, to remove a nail or screw. They can be extremely hard to remove without a similar tool!..... (I'll have to find a nice one, if I ever get my smart back or a replacement)!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I do like the idea of calling for help, except in places with no cell phone signal, and possible long wait. (Sometimes I can just get the job done faster, ie. if there is a spare to just swap it myself).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I came out of the grocery store one day to discover a flat tire on my smart... no need for a TPMS indication, as I immediately spotted it upon walking up to the vehicle.

So I called AAA... it was going to be 45-minutes to an hour before they could get a roll-back to me and I had frozen items in the car and it was mid summer! :(

So I figured, what the heck... maybe I can patch it sufficiently to get the several miles home.

I keep tire plugs in the car for just such an eventuality, not wanting to potentially destroy a TPMS sensor with the sealant goop. Hooked up the smart's air compressor, heard the leak, moved the car 18" to expose it, plugged it and filled the tire.

I was home and had my frozen items put away, tire & wheel pulled and loaded in the truck & headed off to the garage for a proper plug, long before AAA could have gotten to me.

~toaster

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Not all situations are the same.The stock tire repair kit won't work for everyone. If you frequent trips on unpaved roads, or areas that are a bit remote, or drive at night when services are not always available, it may be better to carry a spare tire and rim . Others can get along fine with a can of slime or similar material to add to the tire to seal the leak. The sealant won't help if you have a ply separation, or bend a rim on a pothole or road debris. Carrying a spare tire does cut into the available room so that is another consideration.

I carry a pair of pliers, wire cutters, and a small magnetic driver with torx bits in the storage box.and a 10mm wrench just for battery disconnecting along with a fire extinguisher under the seat. Some of you know what that is for..... I also carry a few of the plastic clips for the rocker covers, some headlight clips and a spare headlight bulb as most of my driving is after dark.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I can get that plastic hook to hold, and then for some reason it is extremely hard to get it off!
That's why I did the curtain rod. :)

The hook is attached to the carpet by a thin piece of carpet. I've seen countless older 451s where the hook ripped off. The mat/carpet is way too heavy for that hook for frequent use over many years. Nope, not going to happen to me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dang man you're prepped for anything. :)

I keep a tyre pump and a curtain rod in mine. I use the curtain rod to prop open the engine bay carpet (I don't trust that plastic hook to stay attached forever).
I'm not familiar with the plastic hook. Did they install these on 2008 model vehicles? I basically just folded back into the space between the seat and the firewall.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and i thought i was prepared....guess you were wrong Miss Mercedes. compared to jimvw57. but i did get a good idea...pliers to pull out whatever is in the tire. as for fuses and bulbs, all the years i been driving i have never needed one of those. what did jim mean buy carrying a fire extinguisher under the seat for?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts