Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think those new to EVs want more range, and as they get more comfortable with the range, a lesser amount is acceptable. That was certainly the case for us. It was a combination of over-estimating how much we really would drive in between battery chargings, and comfort in running the battery closer to zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... as [those new to EVs] get more comfortable with the range, a lesser amount is acceptable.

Yes, the article leads in with that same point. But before anyone can become a buyer and begin to get comfy with any given EV range, one must first deal with a whole set of pre-purchase concerns. That was the meat of the story, which illustrates my point last week about the pre-purchase perceptual impact of the ED's official '58-mile' range. It's a weak 'first card' for smart to play.

EV makers cannot afford to be dismissive about these number-based anxieties. The EV with the best and most media headlines boasting range capabilities will win, at this stage in the EV industry's life cycle. Lesser-capable OEMs might as well sit on the sidelines, or be content with financial crumbs from the fringes of the market.

Perceptions beat reality every time.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm in total agreement with you. People's perceptions ARE their reality.

For us, the easing of our range anxiety took probably about a month, the first time we had to run it pretty low and were worried about actually making it, and not knowing if performance would degrade significantly as the battery approached empty. We had to come to really trust the SOC meter, and trust that we could both manage our driving to eek out extra range, and find a charging station if we had to. For people like me that were totally new to EVs, that just takes time.

Like I said in another thread, you and I lived through the introduction of the ND Miata and the weak 155 HP specification for the motor. Whether that is actually the case can be dispelled with one press of the throttle. With an EV, that process took us a month, and so unless paper specs are enough to draw people in to even take a look, it's a long and steep uphill road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smart maybe ought'a think about week-long ED loaners for prospective buyers, so people might experience first-hand how the car could fit into their lifestyle.

·
Registered
832 Posts
smart maybe ought'a think about week-long ED loaners for prospective buyers, so people might experience first-hand how the car could fit into their lifestyle.
That's what I did before I bought mine! Well, not a whole week - just 3 days, so I could experience a full cycle of commute and charging.
At the time the smart ED was brand new, and there was no other way of knowing how 68 EPA miles translated into the real world. My commute was 55miles round trip, and an overly optimistic EPA would have been problematic. Turns out the EPA estimate was very conservative. But I would not have taken the salespersons word for it without seeing for myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts