Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here and i do plan on leasing an electric smart car sometime next month. I live in Chicago,IL and there's only 1 dealer near me that carries electric smart cars.

They quoted me $375 for leasing it under 15k miles each year for a convertible electric. Does that sound about right?

Whats your monthly payment on your lease?

:shrug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Base model with LED DRL. $99 per month. $1250 due at signing with Battery Assurance. $2500 CA rebate. 3yrs lease. 10K mile per year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there! I pay $244/month for my 2014 ED with the multimedia display, surround sound and design package. $375 sounds a little high....nothing some negotiations can't fix.

Smart has been discounting the ED quite heavily, so be aware of the current offers that are on. When I got my ED, I got $3000 plus $1500 off from Smart. Then, I got a few other discounts (small business, graduate rebate, etc). Also, make sure they take into account the federal and state rebate for electric vehicles. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
We got ours through a family member who works for Mercedes so it was pretty cheap :)

The best I have seen someone else get though was $600 down and $100 a month for a base model. I believe that was for 7,500 miles a year though though.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
What is the MSRP (window sticker)?

unless your particular car has every option available(?) you really need to negotiate with the dealer?

Here is a basic formula that I use for my customers?

Cabrio ED $80/mo battery assurance Plus + $119/mo (based on $28,000 sticker price) =$199/mo.

For every $1000 over $28,000 ADD another $30/mo.

15,000 mile a year lease option is another $20/mo on top of everything above.

Then figure in all the incentives.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new here and i do plan on leasing an electric smart car sometime next month. I live in Chicago,IL and there's only 1 dealer near me that carries electric smart cars.

They quoted me $375 for leasing it under 15k miles each year for a convertible electric. Does that sound about right?

Whats your monthly payment on your lease?

:shrug:
I may lease 3 base models for that montly payment:D
$99.00 Month/10K a yr.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I stacked MB loyalty credit and got a Nav/Leather car for

MB Laguna:
One pay lease of 612 drive off (for the car) and battery lease of ($88/month) 10k/24m
Deal is dead now and now similar payments applies to base car only. *while supplies last

MB Penske West Covina:
There are doing 0 drive off $145 a month for 10k/36m if you have lease under a business name or using MB owners loyalty credit.

Thank you zero emission vehicle mandate in California.
MB needs to blow these out to sell more AMGs vehicles.

·
Registered
488 Posts
$99 Lease deal ends today

I've been toying with the idea to lease a Smart ED (only option is heated seats...sigh, I wish the dealers would buy some with options, but that's hard to find here).

Anyway, the deal is currently $99/month with $999 down (if you're a Smart owner or teacher then you get that $999 eliminated with Smart rebates).

So the actual lease after taxes is $21/month
the battery lease after taxes is $85/month

So since I own a Smart, I don't have to pay anything down. So it's $106/month (after taxes) with "nothing" down.

You do have to pay the $295 lease acquisition fee, then the dealer doc fee which they are non-negotiable about is a whopping $499, then some $170 for registration tag and $170 for title and such, then $77 for taxes. It comes to around $1400 you have to pay "with nothing down, meaning the $999 waved by Smart rebate).

That's for 10,000 miles/year. 3 year lease

Then it appears there's the $395 lease turn-in fee.

Then I'd have to pay more property taxes and car insurance is more on a new car versus my old (that comes to hundreds more)

To me it's still a great deal, the deal ends today. All the fine print on the Smart USA website regarding the standard $139/mo lease also ends today, so I guess my question is what happens tomorrow?

The dealer told me they're just trying to get rid of 2014 models to make way for the 2015. And something about meeting CARB requirements, so I'm wondering if there's another incentive that they're getting other than the $7500 (yes, I know california state has the $2500 rebate on top of the federal $7500, but I don't think we have that in CT).

I also don't know much about electric. I read this "the Smart Electric Drive does not have a port to access Quick Charging at public charging stations." and that concerns me, does this mean I can't plug it in at public charging stations?

Main thing that has me hesitating is what happens tomorrow...August 1st.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page at smartusa and click legal terms, all the lease deals "end" July 31, 2014.

"MY2014 electric drive coupe with Battery Assurance PlusSM
$139/mo. For 36 months lease
Available only to qualified customers through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services at participating dealers through July 31, 2014. Not everyone will qualify. Advertised 36 months lease payment based on MSRP of $20,740 less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in a total gross capitalized cost of $20,740. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual lease payment. Includes Destination Charge. Excludes title, taxes, registration, license fees, insurance, dealer prep and additional options. Total monthly payments equal $5,004. Cash due at signing includes $999 capitalized cost reduction, $295 acquisition fee and first month's lease payment of $59, and the one-month battery assurance plus vehicle lease payment of $80 plus tax. No security deposit required. Total payments equal $6,298. At lease end, lessee pays for any amounts due under the lease, any official fees and taxes related to the scheduled termination, excess wear and use plus $0.25/mile over 30,000 miles, and $395 vehicle turn-in fee. Purchase option at lease end for $12,892 plus taxes (and any other fees and charges due under the applicable lease agreement) in example shown. Battery Assurance Plus, the smart electric drive battery is rented separately on a month-to-month basis for $80 plus tax per month. Initial battery lease term is one month. The maximum number of month-to-month renewal months is $119. Subject to credit approval. Specific vehicles are subject to availability and may have to be ordered. See participating dealer for details. Please always wear your seat belt, drive safely and obey speed limits."

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I've been toying with the idea to lease a Smart ED (only option is heated seats...sigh, I wish the dealers would buy some with options, but that's hard to find here).

Anyway, the deal is currently $99/month with $999 down (if you're a Smart owner or teacher then you get that $999 eliminated with Smart rebates).

So the actual lease after taxes is $21/month
the battery lease after taxes is $85/month

So since I own a Smart, I don't have to pay anything down. So it's $106/month (after taxes) with "nothing" down.
It appears that ALL CARB state dealer ED inventory is smartville excess being built with few options. Only ED inventory going to the remaining states is firm customer or dealer orders only.

The fine print lease/incentive info ends every month end but returns pretty same as before or with changes to incentives (seems USAA comes and goes?). Did seem to be a push on to give a deeper (smartUSA backed?) discount this month in the CARB states? Apparently M-B has some gas guzzling AMG's in their high end pipeline that they need CAFE offset before they sell?

Note, based on the build to delivery timeline the next ED inventories to roll off the ship will likely be 2015 with little change other than model year?

·
Registered
488 Posts
It appears that ALL CARB state dealer ED inventory is smartville excess being built with few options. Only ED inventory going to the remaining states is firm customer or dealer orders only.

The fine print lease/incentive info ends every month end but returns pretty same as before or with changes to incentives (seems USAA comes and goes?). Did seem to be a push on to give a deeper (smartUSA backed?) discount this month in the CARB states? Apparently M-B has some gas guzzling AMG's in their high end pipeline that they need CAFE offset before they sell?

Note, based on the build to delivery timeline the next ED inventories to roll off the ship will likely be 2015 with little change other than model year?
That makes sense, he did mention the second reason was CARB to offset the guzzling Mercedes line. I think I'm going to wait and see. Really toyed with the idea today, but maybe in September. It's $99/mo in Canada with zero down until Sept 30th PLUS another $1000 off for customer loyalty. I'm not sure how they give another $1000 off when the lease is $19 plus tax a month (~$700 over 36 months), maybe they take off the mandatory fees? https://www2.smart.com/ca/dealers/smartcenter-toronto/en/index/sales/2014-smart-electric-offer.html

But it has me wondering if that's the incentive plan for next month. I'll take the gamble and wait it out.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Note it appears that the USAA Sales Program does not appear to be in play . . .

The USAA Sales Program has been a proven source of incremental sales, generation unprecedented conquest statistics for Mercedes-Benz. All Model Year 2013 smart models (excluding electric drive vehicles) are included. This is effective until July 31, 2014. Pricing is based on $300 above invoice and the customer is eligible for the $1,000 smart fleet incentive. For examples: MSRP of $14,330, with an invoice of $13,326.90. USAA Price which includes the $1,000 smart fleet inventive would total at $12,626.90. The $1,000 smart fleet incentive is combinable with subsidized lease and APR rates. Customer Assignment is only the individual dealership is responsible for the specific zip code entered will be presented to the USAA member. The smart USAA Military Sales Program will appear to the USAA member in the same way as the Mercedes-Benz USAA Military Sales Program, through a secure log on in which only qualified members may access the program.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
"Then I'd have to pay more property taxes and car insurance is more on a new car versus my old"

You REALLY want to check with your state, county and local tax offices on that?
I know that for Virginia (where I live) the OWNER of the vehicle is responsible for the taxes.
SO if you are leasing the vehicle, MB Financial still OWNS it!
They are just letting you drive it around for a few years?

·
Registered
488 Posts
"Then I'd have to pay more property taxes and car insurance is more on a new car versus my old"

You REALLY want to check with your state, county and local tax offices on that?
I know that for Virginia (where I live) the OWNER of the vehicle is responsible for the taxes.
SO if you are leasing the vehicle, MB Financial still OWNS it!
They are just letting you drive it around for a few years?
There's no free ride here. It's either built into your lease or you pay it directly to your town of residence. Even if you unregistered the car and park it in your garage, you have to pay the property tax. And they claim it's 70% of the book value, but it's always valued more than online resale. Wealthy towns pay as low as $10 per $1000 value whereas poor towns pay as much as $75 per $1000. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here in WV you do not pay personal property tax on a leased vehicle. The update form received yearly specifically states so. Supposedly, the dealer is to build the yearly personal property tax into your monthly payments and yearly send in the payment to the municipality. I know that doesn't always work as a couple friends were told by their municipality, after they turned in their car at the end of 3 years, that the tax hadn't been paid by the dealer and they owed the money. Before renewing my tags at the DMV this year I went to the tax office to double check. The clerk looked it up and said the tax had been paid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in Chicago as well, one dealer has cab and there's another dealer in St. Charles that has a passion. I'm working thru the on a trade of my '08 ICS. It was number 82 that came into the US and I drove it from Boston to here that year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wish nationwide inventory was up. Only seen one come to Columbus, Ohio and it was gone in about a week (after a test drive was put into it of course ^^). I doubt I could negotiate anything less than the baseline ED deal - it's not bad, of course, but getting a car is going to be a tough chore!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I wish nationwide inventory was up. I doubt I could negotiate anything less than the baseline ED deal - it's not bad, of course, but getting a car is going to be a tough chore!
Not really a tough chore at all. Just place a firm order for a 2015 and Nov/Dec you can have your very own?

CARB states get low optioned factory build EDs in basic colors plussed out to them as M-B tries to buy cafe credits.

All others are low/no inventory ED states where nothing is floored without a dealer spec order or a FIRM (with deposit) customer order.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not really a tough chore at all. Just place a firm order for a 2015 and Nov/Dec you can have your very own?

CARB states get low optioned factory build EDs in basic colors plussed out to them as M-B tries to buy cafe credits.

All others are low/no inventory ED states where nothing is floored without a dealer spec order or a FIRM (with deposit) customer order.
True, though I feel like my dealer doesn't want to negotiate with me on a lease until they have good physical inventory.

I have a year and a few months left on my current lease of the ICE smart. The lease is actually fully paid off, though if I can turn in the car before the second annual maintenance - combined with gas savings - the amount lost by breaking early is acceptable. When I asked my dealer about it after the test drive, he recommended waiting until inventory is available.

Maybe I'll just have to be direct with him about wanting to order one by this January.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
True, though I feel like my dealer doesn't want to negotiate with me on a lease until they have good physical inventory.

When I asked my dealer about it after the test drive, he recommended waiting until inventory is available.

Maybe I'll just have to be direct with him about wanting to order one by this January.
Tough to negotiate when he has nothing to sell and you have a pent up desire. Then again you would think that M-B Financial would want to keep their current ICE customer happy?

Bear in mind if you wait for inventory it could be a long wait AND color and options may not be to your liking?

Pipeline for a firm order ED was 5 - 6 months with limited production AND real skinny production numbers for a cabrio.

Downside of placing a FIRM order is they WILL NOT secure the current incentives against your pending order and you may or may not qualify for that being offered (or not) by M-B when you take delivery.

There are other options to include buying from a CARB state and having it transported but things can get strange as most out of state sales personnel don't want to work that hard for a sale - been there done that? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts