Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to wrap my smart in matte black. I have everything I'll need, and I want to purchase the wrap, but I have no clue how much to get. I found a good site which carries a lot of do-it-yourself goodies.

3M Matte Black Vinyl Wrap Sticker Decal Sheet

I contacted them, and they recommended 25 feet, but given the size of the car and the fact that I am just doing the body panels.. that seems like a bit much. So do any of you know the right amount to get, or should I whip out the tape measure and guestimate it myself :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
JPaul just posted some neat measurements that might help calculate what you need in this thread:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/width-smart-34243/

Suggestion box:

Is the 59" width patterna going to run vertical from the top down on the smart? Will the pattern allow for a horizontal cut to allow for better coverage and less waste?

if only vertical, then almost all the parts can be covered by one the 59" width pieces.

Are doing each panel or covering the panel seams that can be covered? there will be very few.

Pull out the measuring tape, then allow an extra 10-20% for errors and edging overlap to secure the edges of the panels or the largest piece if covering the panel seams.

·
Banned
206 Posts
PLEASE post pics of the process!
Anything that says easy to apply usually isnt :p
And you have way more :nuts: then I do to take this on yourself!
Id love to see the before after and during!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPaul just posted some neat measurements that might help calculate what you need in this thread:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/width-smart-34243/

Suggestion box:

Is the 59" width patterna going to run vertical from the top down on the smart? Will the pattern allow for a horizontal cut to allow for better coverage and less waste?

if only vertical, then almost all the parts can be covered by one the 59" width pieces.

Are doing each panel or covering the panel seams that can be covered? there will be very few.

Pull out the measuring tape, then allow an extra 10-20% for errors and edging overlap to secure the edges of the panels or the largest piece if covering the panel seams.
Almost forgot about this post :D

I believe I am going to do the ol' measuring tape + 25% method. I am wrapping it in a solid color, so no need to figure out patterns or anything. I plan on making it look just like the paint, so I won't be covering seams. I will post the measurements when I go out and do it if anyone is interested in doing the same.

Now I'm wondering.. anyone have any experience removing the panels? Is it a huge undertaking?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Now I'm wondering.. anyone have any experience removing the panels? Is it a huge undertaking?
If you are mechanically inclined you can do it in a snap. First time I did it, took me almost all day but I really took my time as everything I pulled apart I stopped and had to really inspect what was underneath it to see everything that the car is made of.

Now that I have done it a few times I can do a panel swap in about an hour. (FWIW: when I say I have done it a few times I mean I've done it well over 20 times now)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I've done a ton of research, and I think I am going to bite the bullet and order the matte wrap tonight :eek: I should get it done before the snow falls.. otherwise I'll have to wait until March, which would suck.

Anyways, as I said, I went out and measured the panels, but was still unsatisfied with my results, so I put my Graphic Design degree to work and took the schematics into Illustrator. Then I figured out exactly what I needed using the precut sizes (1inch = 1px)

Grand total:

7 59x36 inch sheets
2 59x24 inch sheets
$623.75

Of course, if any of you know of a cheaper vendor, let me know. It's not terrible if you consider that smart expressions charges $1,350+ for wraps and $1,550 + for paint.

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
Be sure to get more than you need, accidents do happen...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered all the wrapping stuff plus I got a great deal on the chrome kit. I plan on wrapping it on next Wednesday. I'll post pics. Oh god I'm terrified :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres a followup :D

I took my smart apart - all panels removed along with the headlights

It took about four hours. I then wrapped the tailgate, stared at it a while and decided I hated it. I'm not sure if it was the material or what, but the matte wrap picked up dust like crazy, and was filled with tiny bumps and a repeating blotch down the middle. Luckily they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

It wasn't all a waste, though. Tomorrow I am going to polish up all the panels and clean the grime that's accumulated on the inside. Plus I learned how to take all the panels off, which makes me less hesitant to do upgrades down the road. For now, I do have a new horn I've been meaning to install

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you find it easier to apply the vinyl to the panels off the car, than leaving them on the car? Did you find it difficult to remount the panels without damaging the vinyl?

I am working on this same project, only in matte orange. I have done the hood twice, once on the car and once off. I found it easier as the car held the panel down.

any help would be appreciated.

nic

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Did you find it easier to apply the vinyl to the panels off the car, than leaving them on the car? Did you find it difficult to remount the panels without damaging the vinyl?

I am working on this same project, only in matte orange. I have done the hood twice, once on the car and once off. I found it easier as the car held the panel down.

any help would be appreciated.

nic
Apparently, he gave up :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts