Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you get your car. You love it. You get attention everywhere you go. How much over what you paid would it take for you to sell it?

How attached will you be to it overall? Would you sell or trade it if it were financially smart? If there was the possibility of making a good profit on it, would you list it to test the waters?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I know what I will do....

How attached will you be to it overall? [/QUOTE]

I went thru this when I bought my first year model S-2000. I even had offers for it, taking delivery of it in May of 2000. I loved the car so much that I kept it and still have it 50K miles later.
The same will happen with the Smart UNTIL the Smart EV or PHEV version comes out....then it will either be sold or traded...most likely sold outright.:D

I WILL FREE MYSELF OF GASOLINE IN THIS DECADE.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
How attached will you be to it overall?
I went thru this when I bought my first year model S-2000. I even had offers for it, taking delivery of it in May of 2000. I loved the car so much that I kept it and still have it 50K miles later.
The same will happen with the Smart UNTIL the Smart EV or PHEV version comes out....then it will either be sold or traded...most likely sold outright.:D

I WILL FREE MYSELF OF GASOLINE IN THIS DECADE.[/QUOTE]

At my age this is a more urgent resolution:
I WILL FREE MYSELF OF GAS IN THIS DECADE

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How attached will you be to it overall?

I WILL FREE MYSELF OF GASOLINE IN THIS DECADE.[/QUOTE]

I take it you would trade for a Tesla Roadster ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have two of these little cars and they are not for sale or trade. The second day that I owned my first smart I was offered $7000 cash more than I paid for it and never gave it a moments thought.
My second smart is a diesel and virtually irreplaceable at this point.
These cars have a character that the 451s do not have. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the 451, it's just not the the same.
I have a building full of collecter cars and the smarts are just the latest additions and none of my cars are for sale.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sell? NEVER

My smartie and I have definitely bonded. Each day we are more and more in tune with each other. He is my first, so never... :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
IF I actually get one, sure I'd sell it. Reasons below.

A car is a piece of machinery, just like a toaster or lawn mower.
You can love it all you want but it can't love back.
And the "relationship" can get strained when you have to drive, if it's drivable, your baby 100 miles (or more) for warranty work by a qualified tech, no matter how great the mpg is.

No doubt, there is a pent up need for vehicles such as this.
If Penske had hooked up with DC, Ford, GM, Honda etc to develop/market/sell/service the smart concept through all their established dealerships, the sky's the limit.

As for now it's a pig in a poke regarding who gets what, and when, and how much, and where's the dealers, parts availability etc.
After reading all the posts on this Forum as well as others, my affection for the smart has dwindled considerably, sorry to say.

I'll probably hang in there a couple more months before requesting my 99 bucks back unless I hear from smart regarding my reservation/order. At this point I'm hoping I get one, then sell it at a profit to someone who HAS to have one.

Disclaimer: These are just my personal opinions and in no way meant to diminish the enthusiasm y'all have for this vehicle. :)

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
No doubt, there is a pent up need for vehicles such as this.
If Penske had hooked up with DC, Ford, GM, Honda etc to develop/market/sell/service the smart concept through all their established dealerships, the sky's the limit.
Actually, leaving Penske out of it...if DC had connected up with DC in the early going, then that might solve some of the problems.......however, right now no matter what - the factory in France is the limit! :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like Visa our Passion/D'Vinci is priceless. If anything we will get another one for me after all of the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tomcat - I am finding the nonsense surrounding the launch of the Smart trying my patience too. While I will try to stick it out and keep the car I am finding all this baloney a royal pain.

While I think that many of the responders on this forum sincerely believe in the vision of Smartcars and have more patience with the process than I do, the transparent effort to launch the car with all this buzz by rolling it out in a way that makes it seem like a prize to win (rather than a car to buy) is making the process way more trouble than I think is warranted- period. (flame proof vest on).

I am going away for vacation soon where I cannot be reached or see the internet and all this baloney about how we HAVE to buy the car really is just stupid IMO. If I lose my spot in the line so be it- then I'll ask for the 99 dollars back.

My friendly Smart phone rep and the friendly dealer both will not make it possible to preorder the car and leave it with them until my number is called. Is that really very much to ask for the PRIVILAGE of buying the car? I am not trying to jump the line, just keep my spot and they are making it impossible because right now they have 3 people who will do it their way who can take my place if I will not jump through all these silly hoops.

Not a real warm and fuzzy feeling is it? I love the car- hate this rediculous process. It seems to me we should all just be able to go our assigned dealer and sign a contract. The numbers have been assigned so let them distribute it that way as fairly as they wish. But this silly decoder ring we are all waiting for ONLY by email and only when their secret list makes it happen to order is childish and unnecessary.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I understand Lewis’ legitimate cynicism; I have seen enough lighthouses go by to mistrust a lot of land-person’s enterprises. I hope smartUSA isn’t one to be mistrusted. Anyway….

I am thinking that, in my frequent absences when the hoops may be unexpectadly presented, I may be able to have executed a legal, “Specified Power-of-Attorney” and attendant "Letter-of-Instruction" that will allow my designated agent to complete the requirements.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Do I detect swelling undercurrents of discontentment?:cool:

The multi-step process of reservations, online-ordering, dealer confirmation, contract writing, etc. is a bit of a crock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suggest those without trust or faith in the process should call and cancel their orders immediatly so that those off us who want one can move up the line and get ours that much faster!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't intend to sell mine at all until it is just too expensive to fix. I am hoping to put a couple of hundred thousand miles on it if possible before I replace it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I actually DO have faith in the process' integrity.

What I take exception to is being used by the company to create their buzz - they can show the press just how badly people want the car by all the garbage they will go through to get it- a simple waiting list number would really have sufficed with the dealers doing the rest. Why can't I just go to Catena and sign a contract to buy and when my number is reached I get the car in the contract?

I want the car so I will not cancel. Some people just take exception to being treated like a rat in maze with the car being a piece of cheese. I think that we are being treated like garbage for the honor a writing a 5 figure check when they deign to accept it. I just suppose this seems to bother some folks more than others. Still waiting for my secret decoder ring! Hope I'm not in China when it arrives. You know the funny thing is I think the market for the Smart IS rather limited and a couple of years from now they'll be real different with their customers- but right now this a pretty lame joke- being treated this way.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Re the original topic

Years ago I bought a new 1993 Harley Davidson FXR through Military sales in Germany. I paid $8,200 for a bike that sells for $13,000 in the USA. I was offered $15,000~$16,000 for it from several different German and French folks. Because I had to wait over 7 months to get the bike of my dreams, I passed up on a near 100% profit .....

I am much older and wiser now.... If I end up with an $18,000 Passion Cabrio and any of you offer me $3,000 or more over what I paid---- it is yours!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts