Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've noticed that my scheduled 1-wrench and 2-wrench maintenance notices are based on time and not mileage driven. I just completed a 1-wrench maintenance 3,000 kms (1800 miles) after the 2-wrench, or 1 year later. I only drive my car occasionally, and would like to delay my next 2-wrench maintenance to when it is truly needed. When I asked the service person at the dealership when to bring it in based on distance, he stated to bring it in when the wrench appears. Can someone tell me how many miles/kms. should pass to take it in rather than once a year. These maintenance costs are not cheap! And can I simply ignore the wrenches and keep driving until the right amount of kms have passed? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
If the car is stored in a dry garage, you could probably get away with services every two years, but if the car is still under warranty, that could create a problem if you have a claim. If the car is stored outside, annual oil changes are mandatory IMO. You could have an independent place like a lube centre do it provided you have them use the correct oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1-, 2-wrench service

Thanks. The car is no longer under warranty (2005) with < 50K miles on it. I park it on the street as I have no dry storage, and use it ~4x a week to zip around the city. Perhaps I'll try to take it to the dealership once a year and just get the oil changed and nothing else, unless it needs some attention. I've tried to go elsewhere but no one has the tools (proprietary) so I'm stuck with the dealership.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You ask whether you can ignore the wrenches and just drive the number of kms before doing the maintenance.

Certainly. I just ignore routine maintenance icons on the dash. I am fully capable of reading the odometer to schedule my maintenance. I choose to change the Mobil I every 5000 miles, twice as often as suggested by the owner's manual, and I do the other maintenance myself in accordance with the manual's schedule, or, if beyond my competence, have it done by a dealer.

A pleasant consequence is that I do not need to struggle with pushing a button to clear the icons. :D

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts