Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... here on the left we can see that Smart has made the grill more smiley and dropped the fog lights down to the spoiler. The headlights don't have the same strange, yet endearing "spider eyes" shape that they used to have in previous years. Also the logo on the nose went from the old "Smart" logo type to the simple Smart symbol. I personally like it spelled out. The last thing that really stands out here is that the tridon frame isn't quite as pronounced as it used to be. You'll see that in greater detail shortly.

Ok. Face to face you can see some of these differences more clearly. What do you think? I'm leaning toward the old style myself. The silver piece above the headlights makes the front end of the car look shorter... dare I say cuter. The new smart (on the left) is beginning to look more conventional, in other words "like a regular car".

Ok, the profiles. New Smart left. Less pronounced tridon safety cell now that part of the back end is the same color as the body panels. The wheels are sportier, I'm not sure it that was an option or standard gear. The flares around the wheels appear more angular on the new smart and it looks like the door pull is now parallel with the ground. Over all it appears to be stretched out a bit. Right now, I'm not sure if it actually IS longer or if it's just an illusion.

On the rear you can see the '07 edition has the reverse lights built into the turn signals and so you loose an extra lens back there. Also you can see a very obvious shield over the license plate. Maybe that's where the trunk-pull is. Some of the simplicity seems lost here because of that. Also, the lenses do not appear flush with the back end of the car now (even if they are).

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Open up! New seats are more plain. No fancy cut-outs or cup holders (is that what those are in the '02?). Not much else to speak of. The angular body panels are easier to see here.

The flight controls. Considerable rearrangement going on for 2007. Loss of the snarky robot look of 2002... you know you see it. The 2 eyes, the orange nose, big mouth with little tongue stickin' out. I see an added coin tray for 2007 and that a button is missing. The sunroof? I'm not sure. Also, if you look closely, you'll notice the 2002 version has a sort of obnoxious, blotchy fabric on the seats. Some may argue that it looks cleaner in 2007 and others will say it's lost its character. I'm leaning toward the later of the two comments.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Overall I think the car is improved, yeah some of the character is lost but all things do change, in this case mostly for the better. When I first saw them in Europe I loved the wild colors that trimmed the pod gauges on top of the dash and elsewhere. Later, the patterned body panels showed up - I DO hope those make an appearance in the US.

It's a great car that is coming at the right time. The American public is looking for and beginning to support alternative vehicles now, although here in Texas the mentality is still bigger is better, (fools). I was ready years ago and have driven smaller cars for the last 5 years, and would've switched long before that if micro cars had been readily available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not sure about the changes

I like the changes to the interior panels, but the rest of the changes are a little disappointing. I will still get a Smart, but one of the main reasons I have wanted a Smart for so long is because of the stark differences from the other cars out there. I happen to like the old exterior better, with more contrasting trim and character.

I was also extremely disappointed in this year's color choices...for everything. I was looking forward to the lime green, sparkley-ruby red, powder blue and special edition pink panels that have rocked the Smart world since I have been loving them. To find out we have only basic colors to choose from is disheartening. I chose white with silver trim. It might be boring, but all the other colors are just as boring and available on every other car in the US market. Depending on how quickly they bring the Forfour to the U.S., I may just get the white panels painted in a color more Smart-worthy. Like shiny Mango Orange. Who knows. The interior upholstery is also quite boring now.

Other than that tho, I cannot wait to get my Smart. These things can be overlooked for now, but if in 3 years the Smart starts looking more and more "American-ized", I might be in the market for a more trendy, less Bulky-American looking car again.

P.S. RLove...I absolutely LOVE the color of the Smart in your icon. THAT'S the Smart I know.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like the changes to the interior panels, but the rest of the changes are a little disappointing. I will still get a Smart, but one of the main reasons I have wanted a Smart for so long is because of the stark differences from the other cars out there. I happen to like the old exterior better, with more contrasting trim and character.

I was also extremely disappointed in this year's color choices...for everything. I was looking forward to the lime green, sparkley-ruby red, powder blue and special edition pink panels that have rocked the Smart world since I have been loving them. To find out we have only basic colors to choose from is disheartening. I chose white with silver trim. It might be boring, but all the other colors are just as boring and available on every other car in the US market. Depending on how quickly they bring the Forfour to the U.S., I may just get the white panels painted in a color more Smart-worthy. Like shiny Mango Orange. Who knows. The interior upholstery is also quite boring now.

Other than that tho, I cannot wait to get my Smart. These things can be overlooked for now, but if in 3 years the Smart starts looking more and more "American-ized", I might be in the market for a more trendy, less Bulky-American looking car again.

P.S. RLove...I absolutely LOVE the color of the Smart in your icon. THAT'S the Smart I know.
Don't despair...if there is one industry that responds to the wishes of their buyer I would think the European auto manufacturers would be near the top of the list. I too am disappointed in the lack of wild colors and options, but I think Smart is testing the waters with a little more conservative approach, and if the car has the wild appeal that I think it's going to have - well, they've already proven that they are capable of out-there styling.

You' probably be able to sell your initial Smart for what you paid for it and buy into the flashier new ones...at least that's my plan.:cool:

PS: if I could buy the car in my avatar I'd do it it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, I hope to be able to buy one like in my avatar as well. I have only seen one type of rims on the tour cars, but hope that more options will be available when time comes to place orders. I would like to have rims(wheels) like the ones on my avatar and on the red cabrio on SmartUSA's website. Anyone know if more rim choices will be available?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the older model much better and am also disappointed at the changes in both exterior and interior. It has lost some of its charm. The older model was more distinctive and well, cuter.:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Poor Colors

I find it disappointing as well that the color choices offered are so incredibly bland and limited. I truly expected to be able to buy a great, cool color...one of the true reasons that I adore this car! It bums me out that I may have to pay to have it painted.

I understand the need to test the waters first but, c'mon, at least one funky color would be nice! We CAN be dumb Americans but I don't think that the ones of us who ARE are looking at this car :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts