Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was locked out of my car awhile back and i assume it was the keyfob. I went about getting a new battery and keyfob would not open door. I went about finding my 2nd keyfob and 2nd fob won;t open door. How do i charge battery from outside car in case i have a dead battery? Best way to break into car? Best idea i have is through the back window with a bendable wire. My key hole has the nub still stuck in it

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Unfortunately, you're not going to charge the battery from the outside unless you have previously installed charger leads for that purpose.

What I would do is pull back the driver window a little bit then stick a "slim jim" or a bent hanger through to pull on the door handle. This is what a locksmith or tow truck driver would do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • Someone was saying that you can charge the battery in an emergency from under the car. I assume it was at the cable going to the starter or at the spot just under the battery tray.
  • Do i use the slim jim or hanger to go under the door sill and slide it or to go into the car to rap around the door handle and pull it open?

-I'll already drilled the nub and i assume it expanded the nub so it's not coming out. I assume i'll need to take the lock apart and remove it

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
…starter hot wire comes from starter relay and no power gets there unless SAM tells it to…
…there’s another way to open the car but I will not post it here ….

jetfue

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
  • Someone was saying that you can charge the battery in an emergency from under the car. I assume it was at the cable going to the starter or at the spot just under the battery tray.
  • Do i use the slim jim or hanger to go under the door sill and slide it or to go into the car to rap around the door handle and pull it open?

-I'll already drilled the nub and i assume it expanded the nub so it's not coming out. I assume i'll need to take the lock apart and remove it
Yes you will I have to take the lock apart to get the nub out. I had to do the same thing that's when I found the key would not work. With my car being a convertible I don't lock it due to the fact that the top is more valuable $3000 to $5000 then anything that I would have in the car. I don't need anybody slicing the top open to reach in and open a locked door.
Same reason I don't lock the glove compartment. The cost to replace the glove compartment door, is worth more than anything I keep in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
…starter hot wire comes from starter relay and no power gets there unless SAM tells it to…
…there’s another way to open the car but I will not post it here ….

jetfue
Only way i can think of without causing damage is through the back window

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’ve added an external 12-volt marine socket to the cowl of my 451 to trickle charge the car without needing to lift the floor mat and take out the foam footrest. It works well and is great when I park the car for winter.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Do i use the slim jim or hanger to go under the door sill and slide it or to go into the car to rap around the door handle and pull it open?
Easier than that! These cars have frameless windows. You just have to pull them back enough to slide in the tool.

I suppose going through the rear window will also work, but I imagine it'll be frustrating having to feel around for the window release.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Easier than that! These cars have frameless windows. You just have to pull them back enough to slide in the tool.
Slim jim or hanger under the door sill and slide the lock open ?
Or
slim jim or hanger around the window glass and grab onto the door handle?

Slim jim is a tool you use to slide into the door sill and will not open a modern car. A hanger through the glass will bend out of shape before to gets near the door handle. A lock smith uses a special tool to get to the handle

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
...a long small diameter rod with a loop at the end....looks like something a dog catcher uses...
...go to opposite handle...

Jetfuel...luk

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Slim jim or hanger under the door sill and slide the lock open ?
Or
slim jim or hanger around the window glass and grab onto the door handle?

Slim jim is a tool you use to slide into the door sill and will not open a modern car. A hanger through the glass will bend out of shape before to gets near the door handle. A lock smith uses a special tool to get to the handle
You aren't getting anything through the door sill unless your door alignment is really bad. But you can pull back the window a smidge.

I'd think your best chance is sticking something through the top of the window glass to reach to the door handle. I've seen locksmiths create gaps using nifty air bag wedge tools then sticking rods (like described by Jetfuel) with a hoop on the end to pop the door. Maybe not a true "slim jim", but a similar concept.

My first car had a knack for locking itself whenever I closed the doors. I very quickly learned how to bend a steel hanger to hook onto the door handle to pop the door. lol

Or I guess you could go through the hatch, too. But unless the plastic cover is off of the latching mechanism I imagine you're going to be doing a lot of feeling around for the release button.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Somewhere I think I recall reading someone had connected a set of heavy gauge wires to the battery, then to some insulated studs under the front hood so they could charger their battery or apply power without opening the car.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Somewhere I think I recall reading someone had connected a set of heavy gauge wires to the battery, then to some insulated studs under the front hood so they could charger their battery or apply power without opening the car.
I did not need anything so heavy duty. I'm not trying jump start the car.
I just needed wiring so that I could hook up a float charger this is what I came up with. This has worked for the last 41/2 years with this smart also 14 years with the van I had.
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Hood Tread

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was locked out of my car awhile back and i assume it was the keyfob. I went about getting a new battery and keyfob would not open door. I went about finding my 2nd keyfob and 2nd fob won;t open door. How do i charge battery from outside car in case i have a dead battery? Best way to break into car? Best idea i have is through the back window with a bendable wire. My key hole has the nub still stuck in it
Cant you just stick they key into the door and turn and unlock manually after removing the little plug?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Cant you just stick they key into the door and turn and unlock manually after removing the little plug?
Hi Bart,
The last line of the OP's original post you quote above, explains why the key does not work.
I was locked out of my car ..... Best idea i have is through the back window with a bendable wire. My key hole has the nub still stuck in it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't suppose you've ever considered professional assistance, like a LOCKSMITH? If you're a member of AAA, they should send a locksmith as part of your "roadside assistance."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts