Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
MB has avoided recalls at all costs. There was also a clutch plate issue that happened with 2008s and 2009s that often rendered their transmissions largely unusable. These were replaced for free under a service bulletin. If your car somehow didn't get the clutch plate fix, that could also be a problem. I'm not sure if a dealer would do it for free today as the service bulletin happened a decade ago.

A charitable smart center would update your transmission firmware for free, but there are plenty of stories out there of people being charged for it.
MB USA has good lawyers who let them get away with camshaft and headbolt issues on the m156 AMG engines. The balance shaft issues on the m275 engines. There are many more examples of this. This is why being able to work on your own car is very important if you own a used Mercedes.
As someone who is loyal to the Mercedes brand,I find their support disappointing to say the least.
?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kinda reminds me of this video....

Not to bad mouth the car I just bought. Just glad it only misses reverse gear once in a while..
Scotty has alot of experience when it comes to cars, but when it comes to Mercedes I'm afraid I can't agree.
If you watch his videos you will notice that he advocates for cars with the least maintenance requirement and that's it. Now, Mercedes is a brand that is based on luxury and cutting edge technology, so it is only natural that the extra equipment these cars have require additional care.
He just doesn't want less affluent individuals to get stuck with a car they can't afford to fix.
However parts of the videos are wrong, about the wheels, brakes and the error codes.
Just a tip for your transmission, I had the same problem as you did, I cleaned the actuator and the shift motor, then I went to the dealer and specifically asked for the update, $150 later, my car worked perfectly.
I'll keep buying Mercedes Benz products because I appreciate the engineering that goes into it, the safety, comfort, power, feel...etc. as for the MB dealers...I try to stay away as far as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.