Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,924 Posts
No need to start separate threads. :)

There have been a few transmission software updates, but they aren't recalls so you basically have to ask for them.

Reactions: OliverB

·
Super Moderator
17,924 Posts
MB has avoided recalls at all costs. There was also a clutch plate issue that happened with 2008s and 2009s that often rendered their transmissions largely unusable. These were replaced for free under a service bulletin. If your car somehow didn't get the clutch plate fix, that could also be a problem. I'm not sure if a dealer would do it for free today as the service bulletin happened a decade ago.

A charitable smart center would update your transmission firmware for free, but there are plenty of stories out there of people being charged for it.

·
Super Moderator
17,924 Posts
If you know more than the average person about a car brand, you'll find Scotty is absolutely full of crap on a good amount of his claims.

He knows how to repair cars, but his "facts" about cars are usually not. His channel is for people who know nothing about cars and will be easily misinformed.

I do think it's unfair to single out MB for not doing anything about issues. Forums like these for other brands are filled with people complaining about why the brand doesn't fix x, or hides the fix for y under a service bulletin, and so on.

·
Super Moderator
17,924 Posts
Only recalls on my 08 were........ the first 4 were performed in 09.

Transmission software update. Twice, free.
B pillar door sill identification sticker replaced
Owners manual was replaced with a update one. Free
Smart replaced the car battery, vehicles with comfort package. Free.
Engine insulation blanket recall.
All of those but the engine mat one are not recalls, but service bulletins. IIRC, service bulletins are not required to be free fixes if the car's no longer in warranty. The only actual recalls for 2008 fortwos are the engine mats and the tridion cell paint on 49 or so cars.

Reactions: jwight
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.