Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,174 Posts
Wonder what will happen now with the requirement for BAP owners to have mandatory annual battery inspections when their closest dealer is now a thousand miles away? Will be interesting if a battery warranty claim comes up.
Pimple on the Daimler elephants butt - as the smart footprint in the U.S. continues to shrink so does their "orphan car" exposure.

smart 451 ED U.S. sales*

MY13 - 923
MY14 - 2,594
MY15 - 1,387
MY16 - 657

Over the last 10 years Daimler/smartUSA has shown little smart Customer loyalty (aside from a few exceptional smart Centers) and that will not be improving? As ownership moves from M-B centric customers beyond CARB states to the general population the basic 4 year warranty will continue to age out.

As we enter that great EV unknown beyond 5 years, the remaining battery assurance plus "rental" customers will become so few that Daimler likely will deal with it on a case by case basis? The most cost effective response from smartUSA would be to offer a (sled + HV battery) buyout @ FMV and move on.

* The vast majority of these were leased w/BAP and continue to be "flipped" at auction without continuation of BAP Warranty or need for Annual Inspection. :shrug:

Smart Fortwo Electric Drive US sales figures

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.