Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and women) I have a smart fortwo 2008 since yesterday. And bought a dashcam. I want to hide the wires behind the panels next to the windows (and roof). Is that possible? Does it have a click system? Or will I damage or maybe break something if I try to get them loose?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, you can hide the cables. The polar covers snap off and you can drip the plastic roof panel by taking out all of the screws. Just be careful not to power up the car should you elect to disconnect the airbag lamp or you will be making a trip to MB.

I did the same thing in my 2008.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just did this with my 2013. The windshield side panels pop off pretty easily. I ran the power cord down the side behind the dashboard. Plenty of space.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,090 Posts
The header panel comes off like so:

You will find an ample space to run your wires down uner the dash here.

But remember to disconnect the battery before you disconnect that passenger air bag light in the header panel as it will trigger your air bag light.

There is a group of wires running up the post that run to the air bag over the door. It is rather hard to get the trim running down beside the windshield snapped back into place because of the wires and because the catches slide. So be careful as the catches do break easy.DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,090 Posts
I didn't want to mount my dashcams with the provided suction cups because they never stick to the windshield for long, especially in a Smart hitting potholes all day long. Most webcams accept a common 1/4" threaded rod. So I drilled a 1/4" hole in the header panel, put a washer above and below the panel, a nut below, and 2 nuts above so that one "jams" against the other and it won't vibrate loose. I had the rear cam come loose. Did the same thing for the rear. And since the Android Atoto radio had a hi-res dashcam I mounted it for the inside to show driver actions. Overkill? Yes. Why did I do it? Because I could. I'm not the King of Smart Gadgetry for nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the very very usable info I got. I'll be going to start this little project very soon. With all the new knowledge from here.ill post a update when I'm finished or nearly finished with it.

Thanks a lot.

Ps although I fully understand ur reason to drill a hole to keep the dashcam at it's place I think that's not something I have to do since the roads are very good here (I live in the Netherlands).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts