Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Same way you jump any other car?

What's the specific question. You still need to access the battery and have jumper cables.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmm - seems the obvious question being asked is how to do it without having to deal with the more difficult access of the battery. (e.g. connect directly to some cables in the engine compartment). No doubt there is something in the manual, but...

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
I don't understand why the battery access would be a "problem" when someone has the "problem" of needing a jump start. It's pretty quick access to get to the battery - almost as quick as pulling back the carpet and fussing with the finicky engine cover connector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a Porta-Jump

I bought one of these. I have not had a chance to test it was pretty cheep on E-bay, is real small, fits under the seat and supposidly starts the car by just plugging it into the power outlet

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I would question running starter current through the power outlet. I would think the wiring wouldn't handle the current draw of the starter. You wouldn't want to catch the wiring on fire would you?????

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
The only times I've seen items like the Porta-Jump, they're intended to charge the battery, not provide starter current. That said, the key has to be "on" to connect the 5 Amp labeled power port to the electrical system and be used long enough to raise the car battery to where it can start. I'd honestly be surprised if the Porta-Jump worked.

But it's nice to feel more confident having that under the seat! (whether it works or not)

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Practice. Grab your tire inflater from down there and even out your tire pressures without going to a filling station or tire place. It's awkward at first to deal with the carpet and foam form but after a couple tries it gets much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Remember to be careful of the vent tube on the new, larger batteries. It's much easier to dislodge than the old one.

·
Super Moderator
29,394 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok

three years ago i took time to uncover the battery, didnt think very smart having it under floor, and inside car, not in the damn dark with no light it was a task not ripping the damn floor apart, still have no other car to jump in the dark but it will be light at some point

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
three years ago i took time to uncover the battery, didnt think very smart having it under floor, and inside car, not in the damn dark with no light it was a task not ripping the damn floor apart, still have no other car to jump in the dark but it will be light at some point
Check my post #3 above :)

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
When I had my '71 beetle, just a slight push forward by someone and then popping the clutch in 2nd would start her right up at just a couple of m.p.h. If you're counting on a jump from someone, you automatically have at least 2 people to do the drill.

Is there any way that a similar push-start could be attempted in the smart without having to get up to 30 m.p.h. or some other high speed?

Uptown Dog Company

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
When I had my '71 beetle, just a slight push forward by someone and then popping the clutch in 2nd would start her right up at just a couple of m.p.h. If you're counting on a jump from someone, you automatically have at least 2 people to do the drill.

Is there any way that a similar push-start could be attempted in the smart without having to get up to 30 m.p.h. or some other high speed?

Uptown Dog Company
Did you check my post #3 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Install two large bolts into the plastic right front fender away from the chassis metal. Put the nuts on the outside and leave an inch of bolt protruding to connect the jumper cables to. Connect the bolts directly to the battery with #0 welding cables like the idiot audiofools use to hook up tiny speakers to the 2000 watt per channel amps. Problem solved! Mark the bolts + and - so you don't forget which is which. This will also make a dandy 12V power port to kill the tiny battery at beach parties....but not a problem, what with its primary jump-start function!

For the massive stereo owners killing the battery...put 2 of these 232AH beasts, one on each side of the storage space in a plastic battery box, behind the seats. Hook them in series to get 12V and use the giant speaker wires above to hook - to the chassis inside the tail light access hole and + up to the Smart battery + terminal, hiding it under the center console plastic. You should be able to boom away all weekend without the jumper cables....(c;]
http://www.atbatt.com/product/24026...batteries&utm_campaign=frog1&utm_term=GC2-XHD

1 - 20 of 77 Posts