Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Install two large bolts into the plastic right front fender away from the chassis metal. Put the nuts on the outside and leave an inch of bolt protruding to connect the jumper cables to. Connect the bolts directly to the battery with #0 welding cables like the idiot audiofools use to hook up tiny speakers to the 2000 watt per channel amps. Problem solved! Mark the bolts + and - so you don't forget which is which. This will also make a dandy 12V power port to kill the tiny battery at beach parties....but not a problem, what with its primary jump-start function!

For the massive stereo owners killing the battery...put 2 of these 232AH beasts, one on each side of the storage space in a plastic battery box, behind the seats. Hook them in series to get 12V and use the giant speaker wires above to hook - to the chassis inside the tail light access hole and + up to the Smart battery hiding it under the center console plastic. You should be able to boom away all weekend without the jumper cables....(c;]
http://www.atbatt.com/product/24026...batteries&utm_campaign=frog1&utm_term=GC2-XHD
Wow Larry, that was a useful post. Thanks. You could combine the spike ornamentation with the charging posts. Dual use, look like mean spikes but really are for jump starting your smart.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not that I have found, Actually very easy to access.
It's almost impossible for me. That's because the passenger door of my smart car is about a foot from a brick wall, the car is in gear, and the battery is dead. So your "answer" was no more helpful to me than it was to anyone else. Instead of trying to impress people with your elite Velcro and carpet manipulation skills, you could have just answered the question in a helpful manner.

(Yes, I know that this is an old thread, but I Duckhunter annoyed me with his condescending tone, and unhelpful response, to a person who asked a very reasonable question.)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
It's almost impossible for me. That's because the passenger door of my smart car is about a foot from a brick wall, the car is in gear, and the battery is dead. So your "answer" was no more helpful to me than it was to anyone else. Instead of trying to impress people with your elite Velcro and carpet manipulation skills, you could have just answered the question in a helpful manner.

(Yes, I know that this is an old thread, but I Duckhunter annoyed me with his condescending tone, and unhelpful response, to a person who asked a very reasonable question.)
So, the mature, adult thing to do is lash out at a guy for a 7 year old post????:shrug:

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,094 Posts
I understand FMaxwell where you're coming from. The battery cover is a pain in the butt to get out of there when you can open the passenger door to get at it. It's freezing cold out there today and you can't get the car in neutral to push it because the battery is dead. I really feel for you in that situation. There's just no easy place to graft in 12 volt power to be able to get the switch powered up to get it out of gear. I can't get my battery styrofoam cover out without angling it out the passenger door anyway. But I'm afraid you'll just have to "break out" the stryofoam battery cover and just glue it back together. We've got another recent post here on the forum about battery tenders and there's info there on how to add wires to your battery and run them out through the firewall to under the hood(service flap) to be able to connect power in case of a dead battery. Good luck and I feel for you.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
pull the yellow lever under the center console and put the car in N. or go to auto parts store and get a power point charger ( turn on the key) and try that.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,074 Posts
I installed a cable from Battery Tender, I had to cut the terminal lugs ("O" shape) into a "C" shape (spade lug) using a Dremel tool to get them to fit.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I open the passenger door, on the smart real wide. Removed the floor mat. Opened the floor board compartment cover over the battery. Pull the other car T-bone styled up to the smart. Took my extra long jumper cables, and jumped started the smart car. Wasn't difficult at all, to do.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,094 Posts
It does take a fairly long set of jumper cables. I think Smart should have included Lambo doors from the factory ! That way we could just swing them UP out of the way and do our jump starting. And I could put them to use in narrow parking spot too ! Doesn't the new 453's have the battery under the service flap?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jumper Cables

Hi!
I need to jump start my Prius using my 2016 Smart Electric, but not sure where to attach the jumper cables.
Can you help?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi!
I need to jump start my Prius using my 2016 Smart Electric, but not sure where to attach the jumper cables.
Can you help?
Not a good idea, but if you try it you want to use the 12v battery under the passenger floor board. The reason it isn't a good idea? The 12v smart EV battery still bridges to the 400v EV battery. It probably won't damage your car, but the possibility exists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't understand why the battery access would be a "problem" when someone has the "problem" of needing a jump start. It's pretty quick access to get to the battery - almost as quick as pulling back the carpet and fussing with the finicky engine cover connector.
Many people don't realize that the battery is located under the passenger seat.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts