Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can AAA jump start it? My 2008 Passion Fortwo batter has died. It is 2 degrees outside. I may need a new battery. Can AAA jump start it or should I purchase a new batter from AAA and have them install it?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Can AAA jump start it? My 2008 Passion Fortwo batter has died. It is 2 degrees outside. I may need a new battery. Can AAA jump start it or should I purchase a new batter from AAA and have them install it?
It's cheaper from an auto parts store, and cheaper still at walmart, I think. AAA will probably try jumping it if called, using their portable jumper unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's cheaper from an auto parts store, and cheaper still at walmart, I think. AAA will probably try jumping it if called, using their portable jumper unit.
Thank you wahi! I don't know how soon I could get anyone out because they're only responding to people stranded, et. I ordered a "trickle charger" from O'Reilly's and they said they would deliver it tomorrow. I made need a new battery, but I'd like to get my car changed at least enough to charge my phone because they say will we have powered outtages tonight. I ordered a Schumaker 6amp, 12 volt charger. Do you have any experience with those? https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...smart/fortwo?q=shumacker+batter+charger&pos=0

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
You need to buy one of these.....

I have one in every one of my cars. Can charge my lap top, pad, and phone too. Emergency flashlight comes in handy during power failures. If you purchase a battery for your smart car.
you need to buy, a external vented battery. Any old battery won’t do. You don’t want battery gases, in the car.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Thank you! Does the one pictured require plug into an electrical outlet?
You charge it up USB. Just like a phone. The jump starting, is 12volt. It can sit in your car up to 6 months, before it need charging up again. I‘ve gone a lot longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You charge it up USB. Just like a phone. The jump starting, is 12volt. It can sit in your car up to 6 months, before it need charging up again. I‘ve gone a lot longer.
I appreciate your input. I am worried that I'll lose power and my car is what saved me last fall when that happened. I could charge my phone and sit in it and get warm. This is what I ordered. They said it would arrive tommorow. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...smart/fortwo?q=shumacker+batter+charger&pos=0

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,825 Posts
I have a similar battery charger, but much larger. Yes, it will need to be plugged into a wall outlet to operate it. I also have battery tenders, but they are to maintain a battery, not give it a full charge. If you can remove the battery yourself, you can take it to an auto parts store. For them to check the condition of your old battery, they will need to put it on their charger for about 45 minutes. If you do need a new battery, they can sell you one for a lot less than AAA and it will be the correct size. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you 1983! I am stuff in a freezing snow storm. I was starting me car every day and Sunday it would turn over. The charger is going to be delivered tomorrow so I thought I could slow charge it since I'm not going anywhere in this weather anyway. I hope to get the battery charged so if we lose power in the next two days (it's going to be 17 below 0, then if I should lose my power I could perhaps change my phone in my car. When the weathere clears, I hopefully can drive it to have the battery checked, or replaced. I cannot remove (and really I'm afraid to try) the battery myself. I'm 70 and have no one to help me right now. Everyone is stuck. Thanks again.

·
3,825 Posts
Good luck with the charger and I hope it gets the battery up to normal specs. I am 74 and still do all my own work, but I have always been pretty handy around cars and then I am too cheap to pay someone what I can still do myself.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good for you! If I were more confident I could do more, but I don't want to end up doing damage to my car. How long do you think it will take to charge my battery?

·
3,825 Posts
With a smaller charger like you have on order, I would guess about 4 to 6 hours at least. Be sure to read all the instructions and follow them closely. After reading the specs on your charger, I don't think you can hook it up incorrectly as it will not function if you do. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for the words of support. There are rolling power outtages happening here now. I assume it won't hurt if the power shuts of while I'm charging? I haven't received the charger yet. I'll check back in later.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Thank you for the words of support. There are rolling power outtages happening here now. I assume it won't hurt if the power shuts of while I'm charging? I haven't received the charger yet. I'll check back in later.
won’t hurt it at all, the charger will kick back on. When the power Resumes on.

·
Super Moderator
29,392 Posts
Is there a specific battery I should buy - I read it has to be vented, but is there a certain brand? Thanks.
You want a Type 47 battery that must be vented - do not let anybody try to tell you the battery vent is not needed. Walmart usually has them at a decent price.

·
Registered
197 Posts
AGM batteries are the best deal going, they outlast wet cells and have incredible power reserve even when cold.

That spec sheet didn't say if it was externally vented, so...

S u b R o s a

41 - 60 of 77 Posts