Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My smart has been sitting more than it gets driven. The computer says the thermostat is overcooling the car and yet the engine cooling fan runs all the time now. Engine runs good shifts well otherwise. After the last dealer visit a rear spring started to make some noise. Crappy looking roof panel rounds out the debits. Have a pile of blue body panels, four mounted snow tires. Heck even has a CD holder under the dash... Seems too good to throw away yet my better half doesn't want it in the yard with some other projects that are moving very slowly. Dealers have offered me 500 to 800 bucks for it. It is and old friend that shared 80000 miles with that the dealer want's 3k plus to repair. I need to find something that makes me smile as much as this rig did once.

·
Super Moderator
11,305 Posts
I passed my smart off to a new home just a few weeks ago. gonna miss it as this last one was my favorite one. Just got everything the way I wanted it and then I hit problems, and cold weather. Sadly I need the room around the yard so.... (sniff, sniff)

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at a 2019 Leaf SL yesterday. I was happy with it. My better half was underwhelmed. She saw a little mini van and did not see the "flash" she wanted. I really like the epedal, and as far as range anxiety it will make it to two of three places I go and can then charge overnight. Sending lil booger down the auction tube gives me the chills. Would much rather find a good home.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
2/3 is 67%, maybe a PHEV is in your near future.

Yes, those low-ball prices from the dealership are just way too low. Probably can find a good home on this forum.

Missed Jim's sale which is sort of a bummer as he had coveted Sport Edition SM-3 wheels, 6" width IIRC. Only other guy here with them in that size was banned I believe.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Going from a smart car to a Nissan Leaf. The smart car feels, like a Model T Ford. Back in 2007. I test drove a Honda CRZ. When I got back into my 2008 smart car. It was so crude feeling. Same thing compared to my Fiat 500 too.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,099 Posts
Just sold my '15 Leaf. It was fine around town, but the limited range, lack of charging options for trips, and lack of active thermal management is the Leaf's Achilles heel and responsible for the dreadful depreciation. Mine still had all 12 battery bars, but I babied it and mileage was low. I really wish Nissan had upped their battery and BMS game.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Just sold my '15 Leaf. It was fine around town, but the limited range, lack of charging options for trips, and lack of active thermal management is the Leaf's Achilles heel and responsible for the dreadful depreciation. Mine still had all 12 battery bars, but I babied it and mileage was low. I really wish Nissan had upped their battery and BMS game.
Your 2015 Leaf, was the old model. There’s a new model that’s been out now. The regular Leaf has a 40-kWh battery that's good for about 150 miles of range. Nissan upgrades the Leaf Plus with a 60-kWh battery that provides 226 miles of range.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,099 Posts
Your 2015 Leaf, was the old model. There’s a new model that’s been out now. The regular Leaf has a 40-kWh battery that's good for about 150 miles of range. Nissan upgrades the Leaf Plus with a 60-kWh battery that provides 226 miles of range.

View attachment 62759
Yep, I'm familiar with the updated Leaf models. They still do not have a liquid cooling system for the battery nor truly fast charging options for longer drives (if you can find a charger), so I never seriously considered upgrading to the revamped model. And when I say truly fast DC charging, I mean something more than the paltry 50kW that an Electrify America station's single CHADdeMO plug will provide if the Leaf can take it (google Nissan Rapidgate). EA has some fast CCS plugs, but that won't do a Leaf any good and there's only one CHAdeMO per station from what I've seen. The lack of a good cooling system also limits how fast it could possibly charge since it can't throw heat off the battery from a high speed (150kw+) charging session.

Although mine was decent to me for what it was, I wouldn't recommend it over better options like the similarly priced, sized, shaped Niro or Kona that doesn't have these issues and have the full tax credit. Or, an entry level Model 3 if you don't mind a sedan or soon an entry level Model Y if you value the tech over the tax credit and want the best charging network.

Nissan probably does trump the Kia and Hyundai for availability across the country, but there are Nissan dealers that won't service the Leaf or for some dealers it's a third class citizen if they do carry/service it. But, purely on an EV tech basis, the Koreans are better IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My smart has been sitting more than it gets driven. The computer says the thermostat is overcooling the car and yet the engine cooling fan runs all the time now. Engine runs good shifts well otherwise. After the last dealer visit a rear spring started to make some noise. Crappy looking roof panel rounds out the debits. Have a pile of blue body panels, four mounted snow tires. Heck even has a CD holder under the dash... Seems too good to throw away yet my better half doesn't want it in the yard with some other projects that are moving very slowly. Dealers have offered me 500 to 800 bucks for it. It is and old friend that shared 80000 miles with that the dealer want's 3k plus to repair. I need to find something that makes me smile as much as this rig did once.
I own a 2008 and 2013 SMART Passion For Two and will Love to own a third. What year and model is your SMART? Where are you located? I live in Benicia, California, near San Francisco. Call me (707)208-4845 Thanks!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I own a 2008 and 2013 SMART Passion For Two and will Love to own a third. What year and model is your SMART? Where are you located? I live in Benicia, California, near San Francisco. Call me (707)208-4845 Thanks!
OP seems to be on the other side of the country.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is an 08 passion with 80K and some issues in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It appears that the thermostat failed closed and is not allowing cold coolant to circulate and cool the engine; therefore, the radiator fan turns on to cool the engine with air. Buy the correct SMART thermostat at AutoZone; then take it to a regular auto shop, not the dealer and get a quote. You don't need a specialized SMART auto mechanic to change a thermostat, and definately it should not cost and Arm and a Legg. I am a DIY mechanic and an Electrical Engineer. Good Luck! and please let me know if you successfully repair it. I LOVE MY SMARTS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before changing the thermostat, Make sure:
  1. The radiator expansion plastic tank has enough of the correct coolant/antifreeze. The coolant level should be between the Minimum and Maximum marks.
  2. If there is enough of the correct SMART coolant, there might be air trapped in the coolant system that needs to be bled out.
  3. If Steps 1 and 2 above checkout OK. Watch YouTube videos on SMART Thermostat replacement. This is a DIY repairs that does not require any special tooling and takes about 2 hours. Thermostat is accessible from the top. Once you remove thermostat, watch YouTube video how to test SMART Thermostat to make sure the thermostat was the problem. Tools required a deep pot and boiling water. New Thermostat core without the housing is $30 dollars, New Thermostat with Housing $110 dollars. If the old thermostat housing is not damaged, it is OK to reuse.

·
17,390 Posts
Going from a smart car to a Nissan Leaf. The smart car feels, like a Model T Ford. Back in 2007. I test drove a Honda CRZ. When I got back into my 2008 smart car. It was so crude feeling. Same thing compared to my Fiat 500 too.
Something that's always bothered me about the CR-Z was its 400 pound payload. Two average Americans would make it overweight. I could see why they removed the rear seats on the US spec models.

The 453s feel much less crude than the 451s! Shame they didn't really catch on well enough to justify their existence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts