Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago, when I reach my home, I tried to open the tailgate from my smart Fortwo 450, but the tailgate doesn't open. Everything seems to work correctly (indicator lights blink, I can listen to the relay), but the tailgate doesn't open. I already searched for solutions and found differents tutorials, and I thing the solenoid broke, but all the tutorials that I found only explain how to change the part if the tailgate is open. Can anyone help me about how to open the tailgate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2008 SMART convertible occasionally and randomly does that. I can hear the door lock relay actuating but hatch door will not open. Unlock hatch door, then actuate relay while I Push In hard hatch door and then Pull Out hard. Repeat several times until the door opens. Very annoying. I think the problem is cause by heat expansion that jams the door!

On my 2013 SMART, the hatch door finger plate felt off. I put it back, but I did not hear the relay actuating. The hatch door handle finger plate was failing to mechanically actuate the relay microswitch. The relay microswitch has a tiny metal tab that is mechanically actuated by a tiny plastic tab on the door handle finger plate. The door handle finger plate tab is normally in front of microswitch tab. When you press the the finger plate its tab push the microswitch tab. When I replaced the door handle finger plate. My door handle finger plate tab was landing behind the microswitch tab. Pop out hatch door handle finger plate. It is kept in place by plastic clips. One of my clips broke that is why it felt. Use small scree driver to actuate microswitch tab, when you hear relay actuating, Pull Out and open the door. Once door is opened. Open the inside side of hatch door to expose microswitch; then reposition door handle finger plate making sure that its tab is in front of microswitch, not behing. I believe I used caulking since one plastic clip was broken. No need to do Evilution drilling procedures, unless relay has failed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts