1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I am quite happy smart does not waste money advertising in the US. Why spend millions to sell a few extra cars.

Social media is the way to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wouldn't object to some sizzle. In Europe, the Fortwo has been regularly featured in cheeky, provocative and thoughtful advertising.

I wouldn't hurt to remind folks that there's some muscle behind Smart.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Smart is fully committed to not selling cars in the Midwest. I don't know about the rest of the country. Might as well not advertise if you don't plan on a dealer network.

·
17,346 Posts
Smart is fully committed to not selling cars in the Midwest. I don't know about the rest of the country. Might as well not advertise if you don't plan on a dealer network.
Makes me wonder how we in IL can have 4 dealers in close proximity to each other, yet Wisconsin just has one...in practically the middle of nowhere in terms of potential buyers in the immediate radius of the dealer (I should know, I was born in Madison!)...

If Wisconsin were to have just one dealer, why not on the east where there's the highest concentration of people????

·
Registered
58 Posts
.... Might as well not advertise if you don't plan on a dealer network.
Ain't that the truth. In the small amount of time we've had our smart I've discovered that there are only 2 dealers in our entire state (both of them primarily Mercedes dealers), and the one I've contacted seems to not want to deal with servicing Smart Cars.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Mercedes could sell a lot more cars if they really wanted to. They would need to let any Mercedes dealer sell them without spending Big Bux on a dedicated sales area, forty tons of parts inventory and a separate subscription for diagnostic and programming requirements. All the info is already in the diagnostic tool, they just need to enable it.

They would need to sell more than a "city car." Hmph. We don't need no stinking city car. We need a 1.2 liter turbo-charged hot rod drive train with lowered suspension, fat wheels and tires and a choice of a dual-clutch automated manual or a true manual 6-speed transmission. Same body is fine with me.

That will sell some cars. The biggest fly in that ointment is the cost for certification of two more powertrain combinations. Millions. They would need to sell a lot of cars to justify it, since as with most vehicle manufacturers the bean counters are in charge. Humorless buggers.

City car. Pfffttt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts