Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Didn't say much about the special tool for the top of the strut/shock. Not a lot of room in there behind the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I showed it, told what I made it out of, ???
At a loss for what you mean.

13/16" shortend, welded to a HF angle grinder wrench.
T45 with an extension on an angle-head ratchet.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
When I put a T45 with a ratchet on it, and used a through socket with a ratchet, the t45 was too short so I ordered an extended one. plenty of length, but the rust on the shock bolt was more then the t45 could handle and it stripped out the internal drive on the shock rod. I ended up using the good old time tested fire wrench. Have to be careful of wiring and plastic. I also ended up removing the front end and headlights to get better access.

Maybe your car was from a rust free zone. Up north here we have rust on every thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just removed my front shocks/springs. After researching the various methods, what I ended up doing was this:

1) Pull front panels (3 pieces as a single unit: front, LF and RF quarter panels) for ease of access and easy to do.
2) Bought a 1/2" air impact wrench (585 ft lbs) at Harbor freight ($39)
3) Douse top nuts with Liquid Wrench
4) Clamp piston of shock with quality Vise Grips
5) With patience allow nut to come off (didn't bother with T45)

Now waiting for new springs from e-bay vendor. ($95)
This is a Michigan car that I drive year round for the last 11 years. The salt and rust got to the springs but the shocks look good.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
might want to think about replacing the shocks, especially if you grabbed them with a visegrips. If the springs are shot, chances are the shock isn't far behind.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just removed my front shocks/springs. After researching the various methods, what I ended up doing was this:

1) Pull front panels (3 pieces as a single unit: front, LF and RF quarter panels) for ease of access and easy to do.
2) Bought a 1/2" air impact wrench (585 ft lbs) at Harbor freight ($39)
3) Douse top nuts with Liquid Wrench
4) Clamp piston of shock with quality Vise Grips
5) With patience allow nut to come off (didn't bother with T45)

Now waiting for new springs from e-bay vendor. ($95)
This is a Michigan car that I drive year round for the last 11 years. The salt and rust got to the springs but the shocks look good.
I just posted my experience changing out the broken front end springs here:

Replace old front springs

21 - 27 of 27 Posts