Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states... does anyone know how to go about removing the outer panel on the rear hatch on a 453? Keep thinking about getting a backup camera to hook up to my android head unit... but that's the one thing holding me back. I see two screws on either side of the hatch when i open it up that go into the rear panel, but i can't imagine those would be the ONLY screws holding that panel on.

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
It looks like you 453 owners are going to have to lead the way with DIY fixes; none of the usual websites seem to have any info on the 453. Would be nice if Smart Madness made some instructional videos.....:)

·
17,474 Posts
I guess that comes with the territory of the 453 petrol being dead, little enthusiasm to make tech documents. If I weren't so clumsy I'd make some. :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like you 453 owners are going to have to lead the way with DIY fixes; none of the usual websites seem to have any info on the 453. Would be nice if Smart Madness made some instructional videos.....:)
At this point... not sure we can count on Smart Madness for much of anything, besides the same old cosmetic accessories and ECU tunes that have been on the site for about a year now with no new products since. Was hoping to see an intake mod of some sort from them (be it a cold air intake or just a silicon intake tube replacement)... but have already been told that while they DID have prototypes that they were testing, they have decided not to put anything into production due to there being little demand for them.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... bit of an update, and looking for any potential pointers anyone might have on this?

I've discovered that there are in fact only 8 screws that hold the rear panel onto the tailgate. The 4 that i had previously mentioned (2 on either side of the tailgate, clearly visible when it's opened), and 4 running along the top edge of the tailgate. Three of those 4 are visible when the tailgate storage lid is opened, but one of them seems to be hiding behind the plastic trim piece that surrounds the tailgate release handle. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how the plastic piece in the middle that covers the lift glass latch is held in place, because i need to remove that in order to remove the piece surrounding the tailgate release handle. Anyone know how to pop that piece off?

It's kinda funny, too, cause i've seen a video online where someone reviewing the 453 showed him closing the tailgate by grabbing that piece, and it just popped right off in his hand. Yet there I am, tugging at it, pushing down on one side, pulling up on the other.... nothing seems to be successful in releasing that hunk of plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At this point... not sure we can count on Smart Madness for much of anything, besides the same old cosmetic accessories and ECU tunes that have been on the site for about a year now with no new products since. Was hoping to see an intake mod of some sort from them (be it a cold air intake or just a silicon intake tube replacement)... but have already been told that while they DID have prototypes that they were testing, they have decided not to put anything into production due to there being little demand for them.
Well... bit of an update, and looking for any potential pointers anyone might have on this?

I've discovered that there are in fact only 8 screws that hold the rear panel onto the tailgate. The 4 that i had previously mentioned (2 on either side of the tailgate, clearly visible when it's opened), and 4 running along the top edge of the tailgate. Three of those 4 are visible when the tailgate storage lid is opened, but one of them seems to be hiding behind the plastic trim piece that surrounds the tailgate release handle. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how the plastic piece in the middle that covers the lift glass latch is held in place, because i need to remove that in order to remove the piece surrounding the tailgate release handle. Anyone know how to pop that piece off?

It's kinda funny, too, cause i've seen a video online where someone reviewing the 453 showed him closing the tailgate by grabbing that piece, and it just popped right off in his hand. Yet there I am, tugging at it, pushing down on one side, pulling up on the other.... nothing seems to be successful in releasing that hunk of plastic.
Did you ever figure out how to remove that center piece? I've tried everything but so far have been unable to release it! Yeah the guy in the video made it look so simple . . . but he must know a secret! I am also installing a rear view camera to my 2016 Prime. Please advise if you can tell me how to get that cover off. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts