Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right next to my "fuel" filler door there is a stain of some kind on the plastic. I only tried some polish and it did nothing. I can't really identify what it is, but it certainly doesn't look like anything picked up in the normal course of driving. It almost looks like a glue of some type. Any ideas what to use to remove it safely?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11.800 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 800 miles

Attachments

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,575 Posts
It looks almost like tree sap or something. Is it a flat stain or can you feel it above the surface? I agree with Bob, some Goof-Off or a clay bar to start so as not to damage the finish.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started with some polish that had almost no abrasiveness to it. Didn't want to use anything too harsh so as to not damage the plastic. Tree sap crossed my mind too, but the car has almost never been parked where it could have gotten hit that bad. It is definitely a glob of something on top of the surface. It is not flat. I tried scraping it off with my finger nail, but that was not successful. Need something to soften up whatever it is so that I can remove it. I'll see if I've got some Goof-Off and give it a try.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Len

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Again, Goof-Off should soften up the stain and allow you to remove with a shop towel. Clay bar is good as well but I would use this after applying Goof Off. Once the stain is removed, apply some carnauba wax.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it off guys. Didn't have any Goof-Off, but I had some of its cousin, i.e. Gunk. That worked pretty well to remove it without any issues. If only all problems were this simple to solve.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Len

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you ever determine the cause of the stain?
Nope, have no idea what it was, where or how I got it. Just thankful that it came off as easily as it did.

Len

1 - 10 of 10 Posts