Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a number of discussion about part # A 789 340 33 00, the Dehydrator/Desiccant Filter for the battery pack in the Smart ForTwo (and likely the MB B250e). I recently changed mine to the tune of $53, from the local dealer. I threw the old filter into the left side cubby of the car, and forgot about it...until today, when I moved my (now, unneeded) gloves from that area to get my change purse while in the drive-thru getting breakfast. I saw the filter and picked it up, and noticed it had MANN FILTER stamped on the bottom next to the P/N. I thought, hmm, maybe I can buy this direct from MANN for less.

Then I looked at how it's made....

The end cap pops off using a ball point pen. Silica beads can be bought by the 1.5lb bag for $13.99 on Amazon. I figure you can get at least 3 refills out of that $14 bag...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Does popping the lid look like it might degrade the integrity of the cap staying on? Is this even a concern?

This should drive pricing down...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess the other discussion, is proving you've done it on schedule, for warranty purposes. Maybe dated pics placed in the records is enough, plus the receipt for the desiccant.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does popping the lid look like it might degrade the integrity of the cap staying on? Is this even a concern?

It's ABS Plastic, in a controlled temperature environment. Eventually, it'll break, but I think you can get several uses out of each cartridge. It helps that the cap is on the top of the filter (as inserted in the bottom of the battery). I figure the cap's tab will hold up longer than the actual locking tab on the cartridge (see pic).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also note, you could just simply remove and recharge the silica gel in your oven....
Yes, I could. I've had enough experience with PLA plastic in the oven (drying it out so it'll print correctly in my 3D printer) that I don't want to risk it. I suppose this could be applied to what I'm doing, but, I see reusing re-dehydrated beads as grounds for a "you used a consumable beyond it's useful life and that constitutes neglect" in event of a warranty claim. Akin to reusing O-rings on pressurized filters (like an oil filter). Technically safe, probably the out the Manufacturer will exploit to deny warranty coverage. Of course, MMWA says that the OEM has to prove your "modification" wasn't sufficient. So... who knows.

Thing a dehydrator would be safer/more effective than the oven? That's what has worked best with my PLA materials.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Technically safe, probably the out the Manufacturer will exploit to deny warranty coverage. Of course, MMWA says that the OEM has to prove your "modification" wasn't sufficient. So... who knows.
With ALL the unknowns of the smart 451 HV battery pack warranty, not sure this is the hill I plan to die on? After all, M-B smartUSA has a staff of attorneys and I don't . . .

At risk is a battery pack with a cost of several thousand dollars PLUS labor.

Personally, for my MY 15 ED I will spend 3 x $53 (2019, 2021 & 2023 = $159) just in case I am eligible for anything beyond the known 4 year warranty - is it 8 or 10 who knows? :shrug:

Heck, with a strong tailwind ED AND THE BATTERY PACK may outlive me?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
MB_DNA, you have a frightening point.

My mother has forceful fingers. Her '09 C350 came with Homelink, and she would press the little button quite hard. So hard in fact it got stuck in and the gate proceeded to close in and "bite" her car. I took it to the local dealer and said the button is getting stuck, expecting they might replace the mirror, which has the Homelink integrated in. I was told it was the way the button was pressed. I was sent home with "my tail between my legs".

On the flip side:

Interesting thought. At that price for the replacement dessicant filler, one could refill it what, maybe every 3 months? (Sorry I'm on my phone and calculations like this are not my forte). You could be keeping your battery mighty dry....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to get the color change beads that were linked earlier in the thread, see what they look like after 6mo. The OE beads look yellowed, which I assume means they're holding moisture.

I'm pretty confident that the ED is the modern cockroach of the car world (the Volvo and MB 240s being the originals).

·
Registered
292 Posts
We're on our third cartridge and I have the old one and the one in the car. For what it's worth, the beads in mine are a lot lighter than the brown colour in the OP image.

I think i'll probably refill the one I have and the one that's in the car at least once. That should take me out another six years and the car will have paid for itself in gas savings by that point.

One thing about the OEM beads is that they are fairly chunky. Maybe 3mm diameter? Most of the cheap beads I've seen are smaller in size.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you have a College nearby, stop by the Chemistry Department, and see if they can toss the used cartridge in a vacuum chamber for a day or two.

Boil the water out at room temperature...

·
Registered
560 Posts
My 89 Lincoln GTC has a desiccant for the airride suspension , I remove the beads (which turn purple with saturation ) and bake in the oven to dry them out (turn yellow when dry) , I only have to do this every two years since I put less than 800 miles a year on it .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before I owned my 2013 in June 2017 the previous dealers did the maintenance on schedule.
Battery was erroring on July 2017 and the dealer gave me free warranty replacement.
One cause was said to be previous dealers had not done the correct steps.
My dealer said it was not my fault so they replaced it anyway.

Be careful if you do have a warranty, if the do not show the dealer visit in computer, you are screwed!

·
Super Moderator
1,249 Posts
Be careful if you do have a warranty, if the do not show the dealer visit in computer, you are screwed!
Actually that's not true unless maybe if you are leasing the battery. You are under no obligation to use the dealer for service as long as it gets done.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,000 miles

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before I owned my 2013 in June 2017 the previous dealers did the maintenance on schedule.
Battery was erroring on July 2017 and the dealer gave me free warranty replacement.
One cause was said to be previous dealers had not done the correct steps.
My dealer said it was not my fault so they replaced it anyway.

The cartridge is a 2yr maintenance item, your battery was improperly manufactured it was no fault of improper maintenance. If there is enough condensation that this filter can't keep up, the cooling system has a major issue. Again, this would have occurred during assembly of the pack. Dealers will say anything to get you to come in for service.

By letter of the law, showing I replaced the consumable is all I need to ensure the warranty is enacted - also only the battery check is required by MB for the "lease," par MBFS.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts

I had one of the thin plastic strips that go across the top that helps hold that little tab in place crack. The cap still closed pretty well anyways after exchanging out the beads with new. The other two tabs are holding the lid on.
And like another poster wrote, that's at the top. So I'm hoping that the cover is also held in place by being near a ceiling in the compartment. Maybe someone else knows if that is indeed the case.
I'll check it in a few weeks or so to see if it's all holding well in place.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts