Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Thanks for the offer Scott. I've got three spares plus the two in my cars. I think I'll likely go the route you are regarding replacing just the beads and not the entire cartridge. As cheap and easy as it is to do it every six months, that's really overkill IMO, considering the fact that Mercedes only requires it every two years. I'll likely go at least a year between changes.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 16.500 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Just replaced only the beads in the desiccant cartridge today. First time I just replaced the beads and not the entire cartridge. Pretty simple procedure and the beads I got (see Post #24) look identical to the original ones in there. Will I do this on an annual basis? I'm not sure. I think the factory recommended two year interval is sufficient, but I'm sure I'll probably take a look at them after a year. I wasn't convinced that this was the way to go, but I'm a believer now. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,000 miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wonder how important that desiccant cartridge really is.
I think some electrics don't even have such a thing. [sokoloff]
No photos in thread, no clues in my owner's manual, but I want to be a Believer too! :D

VR. PNW. USofA. 2016_ED_451
--

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
What do you want photos of Vincent? Once you see where the desiccant cartridge is and have it in your hands, it's almost self explanatory. But tell me what you want a photo of and I'll be glad to post it/them. See Post #24 that I mentioned for what the replacement beads look like.

Len

·
Registered
124 Posts
Found (!!): in the little 'Maintenance Booklet' - Additional Work: Every 2 years or 25,000 miles:

High-voltage battery: Replace desiccant cartridge with separate work order

No photo given in the booklets. Do I open the hood or lift up the carpet to find a cover plate on top of HV batt box or ?? High in the Rockies this item would presumably never need maintenance but this ED was bought locally and after 5 years some moisture may have collected. Gah, who wants moisture in their hv batt box??
VR
--

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Desiccant filter is under the car on the passenger side just forward of the rear tire. A 14mm socket works just fine to remove it. A torx T70 I believe is the actual correct tool, but the 14 mm is easier to find.

Len

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Maybe the biggest torx you have is a T60, but there is a T70. So just go to one of the McParts stores and pick up a 14mm allen/hex. It works just fine.

Len

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
BUT, if during previous service the dealer “torqued” down the filter using a “proper” T90, the 14mm allen/hex solution may be met with FAILURE!

Ask me how I know??? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
My bad - I just assumed all dealers did the service exactly like the manual says and always torqued everything down to the appropriate torque just like we DIY'ers always do. :)

Len

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hmm. Is this what you are looking for?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
It's actually a T90 that is needed. My fault that I incorrectly said T70, but have since edited those errors. Sorry about that.

Len

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Maybe the biggest torx you have is a T60, but there is a T90. So just go to one of the McParts stores and pick up a 14mm allen/hex. It works just fine.

Len
I checked web view with a browser on my phone just in case Tapatalk has a bug like it sometimes does. This still says T70. Will look for T90 but sounds like it's gonna be hard...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah this really is huge and I guess the torx is safer to use than the Allen since less chance of ripping plastic. Also this is a 'slotted 90 degree turn' rather than threads? Mine is clean and uncrushed by driving over rocks etc so should come out easily enough. Think I will trace (rub with pencil) to get exact size torx needed. Maybe some anti-seize when re-installing.
VR
--

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Now, if I had a 3-D printer I’d be done but NO, now waiting for a single TWENTY-DOLLAR bit to arrive...

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Guys - unless the last person to screw it in Conaned it, the 14mm hex is as easy to use as can be. Now if you have neither the hex nor the torx and have to buy something anyway, then go for the torx unless the price is outrageous.

Len

·
Registered
124 Posts
@MB DNA - Previously you stripped your filter so have to drill it out, right? This would require just a small drill for two holes that a bar with two (mating) pins would fit into, and then you could turn the whole filter. Also, maybe we should do some tapping around the contact area before we maumoo it. 8^)
VR
--

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
Now if you have neither the hex nor the torx and have to buy something anyway, then go for the torx unless the price is outrageous.
THE PRICE for the T90 IS OUTRAGEOUS - but sometimes you just have to $uck it up!

Folks this apparently is very much a “specialized” tool? Best I can tell the only other application requiring a T90 is the oil drain on a John Deere TRACTOR???

At the moment, Sparky’s maintenance is on hold pending receipt of the GOLD PLATED T90 bit.

Vincent, yes the fallback position would be pinning it as you described. Don’t believe that it is “stripped” beyond being able to remove it with a proper T90, time will tell.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts