Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hmm. What if you just drill a hole through the center, let the old beads fall out, shove new beads in and tape up the hole? (Says the shady mechanic in me)...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
smartmods.co.uk sells two bits for removing the filter. One for 10 pounds and one for 25 pounds. evilution.co.uk confirms that the size is a Torx 90 and offers an alternative.

Evilution has tons of free content and a little bit more with a subscription. Really excellent site.

·
Registered
124 Posts
dealers did the service exactly like the manual says and always torqued [sokolov]
Has anyone here actually seen that (any) manual with a torque figure?
Are there actual threads or does it slide in, turn, and lock into position?
I have 2 monster torx bits back at the ranch but not sure if they go up to T90.
Could probably fashion one out of a nice piece of hardwood.
Going to Harbor Freight Tools tomorrow and will report the good news.
VR
--

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
I looked in the WIS and couldn't find the torque value for the filter. It must be in there somewhere, but darned if I could find it. It is plastic and has about an inch of plastic threads that screw into the housing. I think the correct tightening procedure would be to screw it in until it stops and then maybe snug it up a tiny bit more. That's what I've been doing for six changes and have had no issues.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,000 miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I anti-seize all threads except for wheel lugs/nuts (unless they really need it) sobeit.
Ever have water shoot out as you removed filter? It seems to be located at the low point
in the battery box.
VR
--

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Filter always comes out bone dry. I see no reason whatsoever to have to use anti-seize on the threads, but that's your call of course. Anti-seize will change the actual torque value if you do use it.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,000 miles

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
In the meantime I await the delivery (Friday?) of that "John Deere" specialty tool the eva$ive T90.

As it is apparently made of unobtainium, feast your eyes on just what $20+ will buy . . .

T90 Torx Bit.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
I looked in the WIS and couldn't find the torque value for the filter. It must be in there somewhere, but darned if I could find it. It is plastic and has about an inch of plastic threads that screw into the housing. I think the correct tightening procedure would be to screw it in until it stops and then maybe snug it up a tiny bit more.
From an earlier (Mar 13, 2018) post . . .

"Given the concern about the 14ft-lb torque spec, hand tightening seems to be the best way to avoid breaking the plastic threads."

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 14mm allen works fine but it is not a tight fit. Mine loosened easily though.
T90 was not available at Harbor Freight either as part of a kit or loose. So I grabbed
the allen 1/2in drivers set 19mm thru 6mm for $40-US which is likely what NAPA
would charge just for a single T90.
VR
--

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
T90 in the house! The correct tool makes this easy peasy!!

CSI investigation suggests that the Factory Trained M-B Technician used a power tool to install the plastic cartridge as the T90 female fitting shows scoring where the tool spun. This is also why the 14mm wouldn’t engage as the tips had been stressed/stripped.

No jack required, look for ED’s belly button just forward of the right rear tire. T90 still fit and although tight, it came out without any further issues. Note, don’t lose the rubber washer!

Quick pop of the cartridge top and found the beads to be normal showing no indication of moisture. Replaced with new blue to pink beads snapped the top back in and replaced the cartridge - hand tightened plus a quarter turn!

Most difficult part of ED’s maintenance, resetting the darn maintenance minder.
8149A243-1A66-4BFF-A974-977A25765483.jpeg
A6C9E02F-D3EB-4F37-97E8-C68ECEE4ECD5.jpeg
C1AF5835-9FA8-4B5F-921B-C356D528F24C.jpeg
883290ED-BF35-468C-83ED-E7FA86D5F636.jpeg
A97B06EA-BA26-4705-A234-DA2420A4B2BC.jpeg
B98B68FF-05DF-49F2-9CAE-751FA7AA5C20.jpeg

61 - 72 of 72 Posts