Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother picked up a 2010 smart and wanted some LED license plate lights. his license plate lights didn't work, so I took them out and they were rusted to 5h1t. I decided to fix them for him. Here's what I did.

Remove the bulb holders

You can see how the positive terminal is corroded

I washed the bulb holders out and placed them aside. I needed something that would replace the corroded terminal. I got some spade connectors (18ga). These should do the trick

I cut off the blue plastic, flattened out the ends and drilled 3/16" holes into each of them.

I then folded the terminals slightly (made them bowed) and forced them into the bulb holders. I took out the negative terminals and bent it up a bit so that the bulb would be straight and not on an angle when installed

Notice the orientation of the bow in the terminal. The one in the back didn't hold too well, so I pulled it out and bent it the other way. You want the bulge to face the inside of the bulb holder

Plug and play from this point on!

Total cost to me was just my time. It took about 25-30 minutes to do, and it was me just brainstorming as I went with it. I'm not sure how much those bulb holders cost, but I don't want to find out. Hope this helps you guys out!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Nice fix and documentation. I'm surprised the original terminals were so corroded.

But then, I note your location. De-icing salt I'm guessing.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
...greased lightning or purple castrol cleaner and a brush will remove the "brown" stains from the plastic cover and make them look like new....final installation with a bead of clear RTV silicone over the old gasket will prevent them from rusting for a long time...

Jetfuel.....been there done that.....good one glue eater...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts