Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that some other EV owners are having problems with theft of their equivalent to the Smart Fortwo ED charging cable with the expensive J1772 connector on the end! The connector and cable alone fetch over US$125 used; I see the replacement cost on these "trickle charger" EVSEs can be US$1000!

Does anyone have an idea how to secure this EVSE Charging cable while in use? When I go to work and charge there are no J1772 equipped EVSEs, only NEMA 5-20 outlets. The cable on the J1772 is too thick to close and lock in the cargo area. I guess I could use a PC lock adapter that come with epoxy and affix it to the case of the EVSE and loop a locking cable through it and the rear wheel.

Sigh, if it has value and you don't lock it down, it can vanish these days! Good reason to charge at a full EVSE podium instead of using your own charging equipment!

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I see that some other EV owners are having problems with theft of their equivalent to the Smart Fortwo ED charging cable with the expensive J1772 connector on the end!
:confused: I believe the thread you read and referenced by jwight was simply some Ed owners thinking out loud? As of yet I do not believe there have been any "documented" charging cable thefts?

You list your location as "NC" which could suggest North Carolina? Are you a current Ed owner or just kicking the tires as we await the 50 state roll out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though the Fortwo ED won't be on sale here in NC until next month, a new blue Fortwo ED on its way to me in NC as I type. For our DiscoverE in school programs I have enhanced our Electric Bike program with an Organic Transit ELF, and replacing my original 2002 Prius hybrid with a Smart Fortwo Electric.

I was in Maryland two weeks ago, drove a Fortwo Electric and soon it will be here in NC. The dealerships in MD and NC are cooperating in a way that I have not seen with my prior experience with Ford (Mercury Mariner) or Toyota (Prius). For each of our hybrid purchases, we went to CarMax after local dealer experience was less than thrilling!

Kudos to them both as we spent 2 months in the decision phase on which full EV to focus on and acquire for our programs. The Smart Fortwo Electric is on the forefront of true game changing electric which uses fewer resources in manufacture as well as in operation.

One of the threads I found interesting was this one in a Volt forum on securing the "trickle charging" cable.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My opinion is that if you are going to charge in a public location, use an aftermarket one because it will cost less. The one that comes equipped with the car is about $1200 and it's only a Level 1 unit, so remember that if you need to return your lease. At least the aftermarket ones run for about half that price and therefore is less risk.

PLUS, the aftermarket ones tend to have a locking tab that you can slip a lock through so somebody cannot unlock the charger connector from the J1772 on your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point, especially about the lease return! I have had a Juice Box on order for a couple of weeks. I agree, I will be far less concerned if the US$150 Juice Box gets hacked or ripped off compared to the expensive, and slower, trickle charging EVSE!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Put the 110v charging unit on your passenger seat and run the yellow cord out the window and connect to your vehicle. Plug a 10 gauge cable into the outlet you want to use, then run it into the vehicle through the same window. Roll the window up as far as you can without damaging either of the two wires, lock car and carry on.

If anyone cuts your yellow cable, they will have a useless connector without the charging unit itself. If they want your extension cord, it will be damaged for them, plus it will only cost you $25 to replace.

Not recommended if the forecast if for rain, and the car is parked outside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I borrowed my son's padlock with a slightly longer/wider body and can lock any cable to my wheel. Never had to use it yet but carry it behind driver's seat along with a 10' J1772 extension cable. It's more to secure my cable than the actual trunk carried evse. It's my insurance against being "ice'd" at a charging station.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts