Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 Smart Fortwo new from the local Mercedes Benz 5 years ago. They serviced it for 5 years but now don't have an electric car service person. The nearest dealer with service is 300 miles away. How have others dealt with this situation? Tow to the dealer or have you found someone local who can do it? I can do all the routine maintenance myself except for the battery cycling. Where can that be done outside of the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
451 electrics are IMO the easiest cars to service yourself. Most everything is "check this" or "look at that." At the top of the electric car forum is a post of mine showing the items to be checked/looked at. Not sure what you mean by "battery cycling," but there are test units available to the DIY owner. It is easy to use and lots of owners here have one. Not trying to push our unit, but my son builds them. PM me if you want more info.

The only other things that might need attention are the desiccant cartridge and the cabin air filter. Cabin air filter is simple to change yourself. The desiccant beads (also a simple job) can just be replaced for a few bucks. That's an every two year item.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 21,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 22,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,969 Posts
I can do all the routine maintenance myself except for the battery cycling. Where can that be done outside of the dealer?
DIY routine maintenance for ED is easy peasy! Any competent EURO qualified mechanic can handle fluids and such.

Must assume that your reference to “battery cycling” is the annual test of battery condition/degradation typically done by M-B?

If that is the case, there is a reasonably priced self test device available from a Forum Member - see sokoloff above.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
As for fluids, there really aren't any to worry about. There is no oil or spark plugs to change. Coolant gets so little "wear" that it is considered a lifetime fluid and that's as close as I come to believing that one. Brake fluid might need to be replaced, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, any competent shop can do it as MB DNA suggests above. Windshield washer fluid, brake fluid and coolant reservoirs are together under the "hood," and typically all you do is make sure they look full, although you might need to add some washer fluid.

Easy peasy as already mentioned. :)

Len

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my 2015 Smart Fortwo new from the local Mercedes Benz 5 years ago. They serviced it for 5 years but now don't have an electric car service person. The nearest dealer with service is 300 miles away. How have others dealt with this situation? Tow to the dealer or have you found someone local who can do it? I can do all the routine maintenance myself except for the battery cycling. Where can that be done outside of the dealer?
451 electrics are IMO the easiest cars to service yourself. Most everything is "check this" or "look at that." At the top of the electric car forum is a post of mine showing the items to be checked/looked at. Not sure what you mean by "battery cycling," but there are test units available to the DIY owner. It is easy to use and lots of owners here have one. Not trying to push our unit, but my son builds them. PM me if you want more info.

The only other things that might need attention are the desiccant cartridge and the cabin air filter. Cabin air filter is simple to change yourself. The desiccant beads (also a simple job) can just be replaced for a few bucks. That's an every two year item.

Len
I'm sorry---I don't know how to private message on this forum. Let me know about your son's battery testing device. I always thought that the dealership cycled the battery to maintain long life. I had no idea it was just a test that you could do yourself. Everything else I would welcome doing on my own.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
Okay, I just sent you a private message. See if you can retrieve that and reply. If not, we'll work it out. In the upper right corner there should be a box with a red dot next to it. Open that box and you will see a red dot next to "Conversations." That's where my message to you is.

Here is the link to the battery test unit we are talking about:

Len

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,969 Posts
I always thought that the dealership cycled the battery to maintain long life. I had no idea it was just a test that you could do yourself.
Sadly, it is a Daimler “test” to extract more money from your wallet that does nothing to “maintain long life” and with the proper tool you too can test.

At most smart Centers your service writer likely couldn’t interpret the results???

Actually aside from the “report card” that you usually must beg the smart Center to print - should you have bad results, they have nothing in their toolbox to help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts