Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner and silly question. Owners manuel is not very clear. My wife will start driving our 2008 passion this week. We live on a curve in the road in deep east Texas piney woods. There are huge log trucks up and down our roads all the time. What is the best way for her to pull out onto the hiway and get MOVIN before a vehicle comes around that curve from behind and can't stop?? Should she start in manuel shift mode? Also...I cannot find it clear in the book...can you shift from manuel mode back to automatic mode while driving without any risk of damaging anything? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can shift on the fly from manual to auto and vice versa. If you have paddle shifters you can use them while in auto mode and when you want to switch back to auto you just hold the right one for about 3 second.
New owner and silly question. Owners manuel is not very clear. My wife will start driving our 2008 passion this week. We live on a curve in the road in deep east Texas piney woods. There are huge log trucks up and down our roads all the time. What is the best way for her to pull out onto the hiway and get MOVIN before a vehicle comes around that curve from behind and can't stop?? Should she start in manuel shift mode? Also...I cannot find it clear in the book...can you shift from manuel mode back to automatic mode while driving without any risk of damaging anything? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Igor, Thank you sooo much for answering all 3 of my questions!! We are just trying to be safe (for ourselfs) and don't want to damage the little car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pull the paddle in AUTO mode will activate paddele mode, to go back to AUTO mode move shifter to the left, then back right.... Faster than holding the paddle to reset for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wife has been driving our 2008 since it was new and has never used the manual mode. The key is you have to drive a little aggressively. In other words don't baby the gas peddle. Before your wife pulls onto the main road, make sure that she pauses long enough for the transmission to downshift to 1st gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts