Smart Car of America Forum banner

HOW-TO: Wheel wheel wedge kit - WEDGIES

57K views 70 replies 31 participants last post by  jwight 
#1 ·
Well I looked all over the place and couldn't find it....a HOW-TO on how to install wedgies. I have had these for some time now but as with most things I do, the project doesn't get done. Soooo, today I finally got around to installing my set I have had for a long time. Took pics along the way, not the best in the world but better than nothing. Hope this thread helps, been a while since I have done one.

First - I'll cover a few things first for the newbies.

Q. How can I get me some of them wedgies?
A. SmartMadness carries them - here's a link to them so you can snatch them up. :cool: The Link: Rear Wheel Wedge Kit - BMS

Q. What does a wedgie do?
A. An explanation straight from the link above best describes it.
"This kit adjusts (2 degrees) the camber of the rear wheels of your smart car and eliminates the "Overloaded Trailer" look on your smart car."

Q. Has anyone had problems after they installed them?
A. This thread (first 1K miles with the wedgies....) should be able to cover that question as well as some other questions/concerns.

DISCLAIMER! - I am not a professional, maybe a backwoods hick, or a hack of a shadetree mechanic but not a professional though I am trying to do better :wink:. The car in the pictures has around 10,000 miles of OFF-ROAD - your car should not have a suspension half as dirty.

Now for the installation instructions and pictures:

This is a picture of parts included for ONE SIDE, each side you will use a wedgie, 4 bolts/washers, & a spacer.

Remove Wheel

Remove Brake Drum then remove center bolt from axle end (16mm socket)

Slide axle back then remove 4 torx bolts that secure wheel hub then discard them. (E14 external torx, ) This picture is looking down from the top as if you stuck your head in and looked face down on top of the axle.

Slip spacer on CV shaft, chamfer towards CV joint.

Slip wedge between backing plate and mounting bracket. (make sure TOP markings are UP)

Reassemble wheel hub using provided hardware. (16mm socket)

Reassemble everything else in reverse, center axle bolt torque is listed at 47 foot pounds. Repeat steps on other side, you're done.
:bigthumbup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Haha, thanks Barney. I did it at school today, mentioned to the instructor I should do a tutorial and he said go for it as the bay way mine all day to do what I wanted.

I took it apart and put it back together again a few times just to get some practice.

#25 · (Edited)
Just did this. Not too difficult at all- a zero Corona job (never once did I feel I needed to reach for one) even despite 95 degrees outside and laying on the ground. I like the look- no squatted old Beetle look. I didn't notice any adverse handling on the highway drive to and from work.

Is the difference (in look) noticeable? Yes.

#33 ·
Awesome write up, Kermit!! And thank you so much for it. I owe you a tasty beverage. :)

I used this guide to help remind me which way the BMS Wedge Kit parts were installed. I had to take the rear drum and CV/drive shafts off to check if the ABS reluctor rings were corroded. ABS Reluctor rings are those toothed gears on the end of the CV/drive shafts, see the 4th and 7th pictures in the write up.

Since the 451 (2008+ model years) has ABS reluctor rings as well as the previous model years (450 chassis) I imagine it would be a great idea to clean up and protect the reluctor rings when doing the Wedge Kit install. Those rings are not treated against corrosion and will rust. When they crack or "rust through" it will cause all kinds of problems.

See FQ101.co.uk - ABS Rings

And Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.