Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a picture of my wife's 2013 Prius C. She went of the road into some trees at about 30 mph. Car ended up on the driver's side and was totaled. She was lucky to only have a cut on the top of her head and 6 staples to hold it together. She was trapped in the car as all the doors were jammed.
How to you think my 2013 Pure would have held up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Attached is a picture of my wife's 2013 Prius C. She went of the road into some trees at about 30 mph. Car ended up on the driver's side and was totaled. She was lucky to only have a cut on the top of her head and 6 staples to hold it together. She was trapped in the car as all the doors were jammed.
How to you think my 2013 Pure would have held up.
Its hard to tell for sure, but most likely all the doors would not be jammed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was most worried about how the plastic roof would have kept the trees out of the car. The roof was bent in several places by trees as the car was sliding on its side. None of the air bags went off. You can see my Smart behind the Prius.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I was most worried about how the plastic roof would have kept the trees out of the car.
That's my only concern regarding smart safety. Glad your wife is safe! About 10 years ago our son was passing under an old tree on the side of the road when a large limb fell butt first, hitting the roof spot-on over his head. If he hadn't bent over that very instant to scratch his ankle he would have sustained serious brain damage or have been killed. Not sure how our plastic roof would hold up!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I would imagine there is a good amount of inertia in that Prius battery that wanted to continue battering trees, so the weight of the battery may have contributed to the damage to the car. A lighter weight car may have stopped sooner with less damage maybe?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We live in KCK in the Turner area. She crashed at Wyandotte County Lake. She dropped the right front wheel off the pavement and was pulled into the trees that are very close on the narrow lake road. Car ended up on its side after going down a very steep drop off. Thank god she is OK, car can be replaced with another Prius of a second Smart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts