Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Devin Coldewey NBC News

Apparently Windows 8 hasn't been selling well enough that HP can afford to leave behind its predecessor completely. The computer manufacturer is prominently promoting that Windows 7 is available on its new laptops and desktops — "by popular demand."

Windows 8 includes many improvements to 7, but the new Start menu and "Modern" user interface have been divisive to say the least. Although these changes are more or less optional (it's not difficult to replace or revert many of the controversial UI elements), they are also new and unfamiliar to many and evidently HP's customers would rather just go with what they know.

The older operating system also saves $150 off the order — meaning that even people who might have been fine with Windows 8 before may now wonder whether it's worth paying extra for.
:)

HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand' - NBC News.com

·
17,371 Posts
The whole tile concept should really stick to Windows 8 Mobile. It's just really poorly fit for larger screens.

There was nothing wrong with the good ol' desktop. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Good, another manufacturer that I can recommend to others for their next home PC. Dell has some limited Win 7 options, so I'm glad to see HP offering some as well.

Since Ballmer took over it seems that Microsoft is trying to win the title for 'company-that-flushed-industry-dominance-in-the-shortest-amount-of-time'. Windows 8 was a great leap forward in that effort.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
My younger sister received a Win8 notebook for Christmas (not a touch screen). I gave her a thumb drive with several thousand family pictures I'd scanned, mostly from original negatives.

I couldn't even show her how to access the thumb drive via Win8. So far, I've avoided it. With this news I may sidestep it entirely, as I did with WinVista.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting to see this thread.....wonder where it's been that I didn't see it under the old 'look.' Anyway...I gotta concur.....I bought a new computer in June......Windows 8.....and I hated it so much that I went out and bought a Mac.

I put the new Windows machine up for sale....nobody else seems to want it either. :-(

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Ironically, I received a Dell flyer in the mail today showcasing about 10 different machine configs (laptops, desktops, tablets). Of those shown, only 2 were listed as Win 8 PCs, the rest were Win 7. The PC OEMs know what will sell. I also thought it was telling that their Microsoft tagline didn't indicate the latest version as it typically does, just "Dell recommends Windows."

Sent from my Nexus 7. :p

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I read that there will be a Win 9. I am hoping it is more like Win 7.

I have an Asus that has Win 8 on it. It does not have a touchscreen. It was a display model that was on sale. At times it is slow and other times it is even slower. I find Win 8 to be very frustrating. The tile / boot screen seem to pop up at unexpected times. I think it should have been just for tablet computers and computers with touchscreens.

Recently at work, they got computers with Win 7 since there were compatibility issues with Win 8.

I am trying to replace my Win 8 OS with another operating system. I like eComStation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have used windows 8 since launch...no issues working or navigating.

I actually like windows 8. Like everything else in life, it has its pros and cons...I personally feel the pros outweigh the cons.

·
17,371 Posts
Indeed, Win 8 does have its strengths! :)

I really love how you can have it circulate through different dynamic themes, with window colours changing with it along with some other cool personalisation features. I also love how crisp looking Win 8 is. Fonts are smooth, colours are bold. Looks nice and fresh.

But my favourite version of it is the version they're using for the Xbox One. The tiles, the smooth fonts, the quick transitions, app snapping, all of that works absolutely flawlessly on the One,

But honestly, compared to the latest offerings from Linux and even Apple (Mavericks is the cleanest OS X update in years) it definitely falls short. It's a little unrefined, a bit unfinished it seems.

It just feels like it was made first for mobile devices and then for desktops.:(

And obviously it shows if companies are still widely selling the outdated Windows 7.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Download a new button at startisback.com. Works great, very similar to Win 7. You can boot right to the desktop and bypass the start screen.

Jill
Yes, there are a few third party solutions that will skip Metro and give you a desktop with a real Start menu, but you really shouldn't have to do that. A simple question during setup if touch hardware is detected should allow the user to choose whether they want to use Metro or stick with classic Windows. It would certainly make it more appealing to business IT units who don't want to retrain users.

I've suggested Classic Shell (free) and Start8 from Stardock (minimal charge) to Win 8 users that aren't coping. After you put one of these on a Win 8 PC for a friend or family member, they practically worship you once they can use their PC again. When your mom has finally learned where the Control Panel is at after 15 years, Win8 was asking users to make too much of a change in a single version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts