Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are May 6th 2011. We still don't know if/when the Headquarters Dealership for Smart USA, here in Bloomfield, Mi. will close.

We just had a newbie poster, who bought a new car from them yesterday, and they apparently "forgot" to tell him they might close.

Is this Just a breech of ethics on the part of the dealer? Or is there some hope this facility might survive?

After all, this dealership is all set up with class rooms, and AV equipment, and was used to train all the techs and service managers for Smart USA. Will MB wipe this out, or just rename it?

BTW Penske's offices are just down the block from the dealership in their own multistory building. A2Jack.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
MB, most likely taught Penske's people everything about the smart in the first place. I bet all the new training, if smart survive, comes from MB now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This "newbie" is going back on Wednesday to get cruise installed so I will ask them point-blank what their status will be. I will report back with whatever I learn.

For what it is worth, I wasn't the only one buying cars that day. In addition, the salesmen said they had some more coming "on the boat" if I didn't see what I liked. He seemed really upbeat about the operation there so either he expects the dealership to survive or he's a really good actor.

Expect a post Wednesday PM.

Tim (the Old Aviator)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shane is optimistic but honest

I just bought my new Pure there two weeks ago. Shane Reed, the Brand Manager, said to me while literally he *doesn't know* what the future will bring that he was very optimistic about the "transition" and believes Roger Penske himself will fight to keep their dealership open. He went on to say if that dealership closes he is certain the customers will gain additional sites in Michigan for sales and servicing of their Smart, ie several MB dealerships in Bloomfield, Ann Arbor, Kzoo, and Grand Rapids will have to be on board before a decision is made to close Smart Center Bloomfield. With the price of gasoline in MI over $4 per gallon for quite awhile now, I think the Smart cars are flying out of that dealership right now. Hopefully the Smart Center will remain open but we will also gain MB dealerships elsewhere in the state.

Doug

This "newbie" is going back on Wednesday to get cruise installed so I will ask them point-blank what their status will be. I will report back with whatever I learn.

For what it is worth, I wasn't the only one buying cars that day. In addition, the salesmen said they had some more coming "on the boat" if I didn't see what I liked. He seemed really upbeat about the operation there so either he expects the dealership to survive or he's a really good actor.

Expect a post Wednesday PM.

Tim (the Old Aviator)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
He went on to say if that dealership closes he is certain the customers will gain additional sites in Michigan for sales and servicing of their Smart, ie several MB dealerships in Bloomfield, Ann Arbor, Kzoo, and Grand Rapids will have to be on board before a decision is made to close Smart Center Bloomfield.

And hopefully Okemos/East Lansing....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smartcar Bloomfield

I said I'd report after my visit to Bloomfield Hills today...alas, I wish I had more to tell you. The decision as to whether or not to let them continue to operate has not been shared with the rank and file. The rumor is that they may be "grandfathered in" and allowed to remain a stand-alone Smart dealer but that may be wishful thinking. The salesman I spoke with said Mr. Penske came in to chat with the manager yesterday and was "smiling" so apparently they're hanging on anything that might be a positive omen.

Regardless, they think the reorganization will be a good thing for Smart owners inasmuch as instead of one dealer in the state, there should eventually be two or three. In the meantime, there are no plans to close the Bloomfield shop unless there is something up and running to take it's place.

I guess we just wait and see.

oldav8tor

BTW - Filled up today - 46.5 mpg. Not too shabby - my wife had to do the math twice because she didn't trust her figures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I guess if the MB dealership where we bought our Smart last month (Oxnard, CA) is itself a brand-new to that location within the past few months, then I'm OK for future servicing..... for now.... and hope I don't need them before the first servicing is needed. It sounds like overall MB takes a while to get parts and make repairs? MB is "not my brand" of daily driver, so I'm not familiar with how their service depts function, normally. But being a red head, I've been known to let service depts. know that just cuz I'm female, I do know just enuf about cars to be dangerous, so don't try to tell me a story.... :eek::D

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I said I'd report after my visit to Bloomfield Hills today...alas, I wish I had more to tell you. The decision as to whether or not to let them continue to operate has not been shared with the rank and file. The rumor is that they may be "grandfathered in" and allowed to remain a stand-alone Smart dealer but that may be wishful thinking. The salesman I spoke with said Mr. Penske came in to chat with the manager yesterday and was "smiling" so apparently they're hanging on anything that might be a positive omen.

Regardless, they think the reorganization will be a good thing for Smart owners inasmuch as instead of one dealer in the state, there should eventually be two or three. In the meantime, there are no plans to close the Bloomfield shop unless there is something up and running to take it's place.

I guess we just wait and see.

oldav8tor

BTW - Filled up today - 46.5 mpg. Not too shabby - my wife had to do the math twice because she didn't trust her figures.
Penske didn't give enough Positive energy to the Milwaukee dealer ( #1 in sales and service satisfaction in the Country) and there doors already closed. Shame since Bergstrom built a purpose built building just for smart. So purpose built even a Fiat 500 would not fit in the elevator.

But, after a few months of WI being a vast land of no service, we should hopefully get a full dealer network in the end.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oldav. Thanks for the reply. at least they were smiling.

"BTW - Filled up today - 46.5 mpg. Not too shabby - my wife had to do the math twice because she didn't trust her figures."

Many of us get those MPG numbers, but few us achieve them prior to full break in. Good for you. :)

We too run between 43 and 46 depending on how fast we drive.

BTW pix of an Aircoupe on JATO, from 1941. Posted on Off Topic
.A2Jack :).

·
Registered
16 Posts
HQ closes, now we go to MB down the road

Sad but true email below. Glad we have support nearby to original smart center, hopefully other MB dealers in MI will also start supporting/selling smarts to make it even more convenient.

"As a valued owner, I wanted you to know that as part of this transition, smart center Bloomfield, will no longer be representing the smart brand effective June 30, 2011. The team at smart center Bloomfield has done a tremendous job in launching and representing the brand in the marketplace.

The new dealer will be Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills, please find their contact information below."

>>smart center of Bloomfield Hills
36600 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48304
Phone Number: 248.644.8400
Brand Manager: Brian Middel
Service Advisor: John Polk
We anticipate that the new team will be operational in early July.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure how many read this forum, but I just wanted to reach out again to say it's been a plaasure meeting and serving each and every one of you over the past 3+ years. We've become a family here and it's sad to see us go.

MB of Bloomfield Hills should be fully operational on July 1st, but until then....we're still here to serve you. We have appointments available for basic service/maintenance (please call to set appointments) and still have 2011 inventory that must go!!!

We have accessories including custom floor mats & bike racks available at big discounts. No reasonable offers will be refused on parts, accessories, or available 2011 inventory. Please call or email with any questions!

Again, it's been a pleasure serving you all throughout the years.

Thanks,

Shane Reed & the staff of smart center Bloomfield
248-292-2044
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts