Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought 2016 smart car, loving it but the humming noise is really annoying, wondering if anyone out there has got the same issues. I think it is not the tyres as it’s quite new, only done 2000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply.. l bought it used did not test drive the car cos we also have a 2017 smart car but without this issues. It’s not the electric model.. thanks again

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,758 Posts
So your MY16 451 ICE (not MY17 453 ED) has an annoying hum - upon starting, in gear/neutral, while driving, at speed from what direction/area?

Can be very hard to diagnose over the Internet? Note, these two vehicles/model years do not compare well and are very much apples to oranges . . .

Really need more information or, it should be under warranty if you are lucky enough to have a smart Center near.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The 451 transmission is quite noisy at lower speeds. try driving alongside a retaining wall at slow speeds and it sounds like a box of rocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your MY16 451 ICE (not MY17 453 ED) has an annoying hum - upon starting, in gear/neutral, while driving, at speed from what direction/area?

Can be very hard to diagnose over the Internet? Note, these two vehicles/model years do not compare well and are very much apples to oranges . . .

Really need more information or, it should be under warranty if you are lucky enough to have a smart Center near.
Hi, thanks for the info. It's more like cruising at 30 mph that the humming noise sets in. I think the best option is to take it back to smart, it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Probably the first time i've ever heard someone refer to 30mph as "cruising". lol

Is it ONLY around 30mph, or is it pretty much from 30mph on up? I wouldn't be surprised if the humming noise is just a bit of an engine drone from being within a specific RPM range.... but like MB DNA said, not easy to diagnose over the internet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There was a thread some time ago pertaining to the 453 and this issue. Most of us concluded that it was a tire road surface issue. That is also my opinion with my 17 ICE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi thanks for your info. The humming noise is very annoying probably around 30-35mph and beyond that speed it is not so awkward, l mean l can live with it. I was wondering has anyone’s got issues with this Continental ContiEco Contact 185/50 R16 tyres and only done 2100 miles. l have all along suspected that is the cause of the humming noise .. but again it couldn’t be so loud. Maybe you are right about the noise from the engine drone.. thanks a

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rich, thanks for the info. I was also thinking that it might be a tyre issue but this car has only done 2000 miles. Probably Elementary Dragon is right about the engine drone noise. I might go to the tyre shop for second opinion. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
The humming noise is very annoying probably around 30-35mph and beyond that speed it is not so awkward, l mean l can live with it. I was wondering has anyone’s got issues with this Continental ContiEco Contact 185/50 R16 tyres and only done 2100 miles. l have all along suspected that is the cause of the humming noise .. but again it couldn’t be so loud.
In a safe area, at 35-40ish MPH (the Drone Zone) slip the tranny into neutral (engine idle) and coast - still got drone, probably the tires. :shrug:

"so loud" - everything is loud when you are driving a tiny plastic bodied car with no door insulation surrounded by rolling tires . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Normal noises is understandable for a smart convertible but humming noise is different, very irritating.. it shouldn’t behave like that.. hopefully it’s the tyre issue. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
Normal noises is understandable for a smart convertible but humming noise is different, very irritating..
Wait, is this a cabrio? And there was no test drive?

Smart fortwo is a "factory" of not so normal noises . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, did not test drive because it’s has only done 1500 miles and at them time l also owned at 2017 normal spec cabriolet.. it drives beautifully without any issues.. l would believe that the normal specs has got normal suspension and tyres that is why it’s not noisy and bumpy.. it’s my fault, l went for the looks instead of comfort.. haha.

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
And as you have "tyres," where are you located?

I have an ICE 451 cabrio and an ED 451 coupe - the noise differences between the two (with top up) are dramatically different!

Note that the ED TIRES may also be more quiet as the OEM are often low rolling resistance?

One review from Europe of the Conti tyres said - "They seem quite soft so they are quite comfortable but their major drawback is NOISE. You would swear that the car was fitted with solid rubber as, even at low speeds, you can hear the rubber blocks flicking on the road surface."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, l am in London and mine is also a 451 cabrio fitted with Conti tyres. You are right about the noise in the conti tyres as it’s standard for all Mercedes and Smart cars. I don’t think we have ED tyres over here but l surely do a search..
Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts