Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane Irene is expected to become a major (cat 3+) storm later today.

Current models suggest a Carolinas landfall late this week.

Anyone on the US East Coast should stay aware of this storm. It has the potential to be very damaging.

National Hurricane Center

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Possibly a cat 4 by Friday night.

Wind speeds could be 131-155mph sustained. Serious Storm with a surge of 13-18ft possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone had experience driving in a hurricane with a smart? My wedding is this weekend in Maine and I plan on driving back to Massachusetts Monday. It appears the bulk of the storm will be occurring in my driving path at that time on Monday.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Has anyone had experience driving in a hurricane with a smart? My wedding is this weekend in Maine and I plan on driving back to Massachusetts Monday. It appears the bulk of the storm will be occurring in my driving path at that time on Monday.
I would not recommend driving through a hurricane on any car. I have driven through tropical storms (winds up to 50 mph) and that has not been fun because of the wind gusts. Irene is a hurricane with winds over 100 mph. If it is still that strong when it gets to Maine, I would say that you need to stay put.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

Congrats on the wedding! I would be changing plans to stay put until after the storm. Not something you want to mess with. In fact, I think you can be arrested for being out in weather conditions like that. That would definitely put the brakes on your honeymoon!:)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Congrats on the wedding! I would be changing plans to stay put until after the storm. Not something you want to mess with. In fact, I think you can be arrested for being out in weather conditions like that. That would definitely put the brakes on your honeymoon!:)
DITTO !!

Just stay put until it's SAFE :)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Years ago we got stuck in the Florida Keys during a tropical storm, not quite a Hurricane. We tied the motorhome to a cement block building and took shelter inside (thanks to the owner) and there was no way we could have driven in it. The local police reccomended we stay put and not try to beat the storm out of the keys. They were 100% correct. Minimal damage to the motorhome, and when we left, we drve through some deep standing water ( we checked it out first) , filling the horns with sea water. they sure sounded funny.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It would be foolish to even consider driving a vehicle in this type of situation. If you cannot/will not postpone the wedding, I suggest you make plans to move it inland a couple of hundred miles. Any deposits you might have on facilities for the even most likely will be refunded considering the circumstances and if they are not, it is still infinitely better to lose them than your life.

donsgal

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Plan an extra day in ME. If i know MA they will be closed anyway on Monday

That is going to effect a lot of people

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Oh, and fore some reason Gas jumped 10 cents a gallon here in WI today. Guess they think an east coast storm will disrupt supplies in the Midwest. Go fig. Or was it the earthquake?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
All water is sold out here. We got gas and two generators. CT is now in a state of emergency and our college is going to open at Wednesday the latest.

Here is the email I got from school:

URGENT NOTICE
TO THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

With Hurricane Irene continuing to intensify and the likelihood of significant impact on the region, the University of New Haven will be implementing the following safety precautions effectively immediately.

Resident students are asked to depart no later than 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 27. The start of classes has been pushed back until Wednesday, August 31st at the earliest, pending the status of the campus, its facilities and the availability of electricity following the storm. This means that all classes scheduled for Monday, Aug. 29 and Tuesday August 30th are cancelled.

All students, faculty and staff should monitor the UNH web site at www.newhaven.edu, UNH email, local media, and/or alternate methods registered in the UNH Alerts system for additional details both before and after the storm. In the event the university's web site goes down, information can be found at Coming Soon - Future home of something quite cool.

Residence Hall Information

For students scheduled to return on August 27th: All students who have not yet arrived on campus are requested to postpone their arrival. Classes will begin no earlier than Wednesday, August 31st. After the hurricane passes, you will be notified when you may arrive on campus and a determination will be made about the actual start date of classes.

For students already in the residence halls: You will need to vacate your room no later than 10 a.m. on Saturday. You may leave your belongings in your room, but you do so at your own risk. We advise you to take your valuables and electronics home.

International and other students without an alternate place to shelter: The university will provide shelter/accommodations/food for these students. This service is for students who legitimately do not have an alternative shelter option. If you fall into this category, contact your RA or the Office of Residence Life for more information.

Transportation

The university will offer special shuttle service on Friday and Saturday from the campus to Union Station in New Haven – MetroNorth, Amtrak, bus.

The shuttles will leave from the side of Maxcy Hall Parking lot and in front of Dodds Hall. Shuttle service will run continuously on Friday, August 26th from 8 am until midnight and on Saturday, August 27th from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m, weather permitting.

Communication
Students are reminded to let their parents and families know where they will be sheltering during the storm if they will not be returning home and provide them with contact information.

Students should monitor the UNH web site at University of New Haven : University of New Haven, UNH email, local media, and/or alternate methods registered in the UNH Alerts system for additional details both before and after the storm. In the event the university's web site goes down, information can be found at Coming Soon - Future home of something quite cool.

Faculty and Staff

The university will be open its normal business hours on Friday, Aug. 26. Faculty and Staff will be notified through the normal communication channels of any possibility of University delays or closings beginning Monday, August 29th.

Essential personnel are required to report to work, as directed by their supervisor. Employees should check with their supervisor today to determine if they are considered essential personnel.

All faculty and staff should monitor the UNH web site at University of New Haven : University of New Haven, UNH email, local media, and/or alternate methods registered in the UNH Alerts system for the latest information. In the event the university's web site goes down, information can be found at Coming Soon - Future home of something quite cool.

Faculty and staff should turn off computers, lights and other equipment when leaving Friday. Additionally, electrical or valuable items should be moved off the floor and away from windows.

Events

All events scheduled for the UNH campus from 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 26 through such time as when the campus reopens are cancelled.

Parking

Essential personnel should park their vehicles in the Maxcy Hall lot, unless otherwise directed by a Campus Police Officer.

Student Recreation Center

The Beckerman Center will be open until 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 26 and will not reopen until the campus does.
Scary stuff!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Washington, DC's MLK Memorial dedication ceremony scheduled for Sunday has been postponed, no date set yet.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Have the ceremony and find a hotel in Maine, stay put. I'm about 20 miles from Va Bch, Va. and we bought 5 DVDs in case we lose our satellite feed, candles, propane stove (we camp a lot), 5 gallon water bottles... After I get home from work we ain't goin' nowhere til Sunday. BTW cases of water, normally $1.89 now $3.00+ talk about price gouging! This morning local Wal-Mart got in 21 pallets of water,gone by noon.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've got a 5 gallon bottle of water in the kitchen from the quake the other day. I'm going to run out and fill the smart with gas and get some basics here in a few minutes - hopefully I have beat the crowds at Harris Teeter.

I was supposed to be taking the smart on its first camping trip in Harper's Ferry, WV this weekend, which has since been cancelled. I am going to keep it in the garage and lay low. I would like to have the VUE in case I have to go out, alas last week it decided it didn't want to start and I haven't had time to work on it.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
People Forget they can fill other containers with water from the tap before the emergency hits. You can also collect plenty of falling fresh water during the storm
Good one forest - during a storm back in 1997 (Typhoon Paka in Guam - Cat 5) I lost power/water for about 4 days. That was what the family and I did for showers, we took gutter showers. I rerouted the gutters and then during the frequent storms we went out in our bathing suits and took showers. It pays to be "rural", I'm not too cityfied for anything. :rolleyes::p

1 - 20 of 48 Posts