Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The verdict is in. My smart was damaged by flying 2x6 lumber from a neighbor's roof. Communication was difficult for several months due to loss of internet and telephone service. Finally got an adjuster to check the car yesterday, and Progressive calls it a total loss, although I'm still driving it.

Hurricane damage includes: smashed windshield, a damaged wiper, driver's side door hinge, and a quarter panel which "may* need replacement, a cracked headlight lense, and broken *hood* latches. The front flap is currently held on with Gorilla tape. Tje clear coat also took damage in several areas.

They offer me $3,403.43 and allow me to keep my electronics upgrades, which are substantial, in the thousands of dollars.

Or, I can keep the car and either attempt repairs OR sell it to another party and they'll pay me $2,153.07. I've nearly decided on the 2nd option and would appreciate any thoughts. I'm not so much concerned with cosmetic problems like paint right now.

The car is a 2008 cabrio, with nearly all factory options, I think I skipped the child seat or something. I configured it myself and waited 14-months for delivery, finally taking possession in July 2008.
It has 104,000 miles on it and had its share of age related quirks and issues even before the storm. The cabrio roof hasn't been open in years due to the fabric separating from the frame at the leading edge, prime example.

The clutch or transmission goes through periods of a day or two at a time when it shifts very harshly, and somethings months when it seems to operate as expected. I seem to notice the bad behavior follows my dogging it, so I avoid that.

If I let Progressive take it, I will have to get another vehicle. And, I'd greatly prefer an ICE smart. Although, in my present situation an EV would work, I have serious reservations about that route, ESPECIALLY on a 2nd hand eV. And any new car is out of my financial league at present, or the foreseeable future.

This is long post (sorry), and SCoA participation appears to be much less than it used to be. But feedback is what I'm after. Take the money and buy a point A to point B car I don't like, take option 2 and try to fix it up, or take option 2 and try to sell it to another party. That third option gives me $2,153.07 plus whatever I can get for the car.

In any case, I'd like to continue to be a smart driver, if I can. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The verdict is in. My smart was damaged by flying 2x6 lumber from a neighbor's roof. Communication was difficult for several months due to loss of internet and telephone service. Finally got an adjuster to check the car yesterday, and Progressive calls it a total loss, although I'm still driving it.

Hurricane damage includes: smashed windshield, a damaged wiper, driver's side door hinge, and a quarter panel which "may* need replacement, a cracked headlight lense, and broken *hood* latches. The front flap is currently held on with Gorilla tape. Tje clear coat also took damage in several areas.

They offer me $3,403.43 and allow me to keep my electronics upgrades, which are substantial, in the thousands of dollars.

Or, I can keep the car and either attempt repairs OR sell it to another party and they'll pay me $2,153.07. I've nearly decided on the 2nd option and would appreciate any thoughts. I'm not so much concerned with cosmetic problems like paint right now.

The car is a 2008 cabrio, with nearly all factory options, I think I skipped the child seat or something. I configured it myself and waited 14-months for delivery, finally taking possession in July 2008.
It has 104,000 miles on it and had its share of age related quirks and issues even before the storm. The cabrio roof hasn't been open in years due to the fabric separating from the frame at the leading edge, prime example.

The clutch or transmission goes through periods of a day or two at a time when it shifts very harshly, and somethings months when it seems to operate as expected. I seem to notice the bad behavior follows my dogging it, so I avoid that.

If I let Progressive take it, I will have to get another vehicle. And, I'd greatly prefer an ICE smart. Although, in my present situation an EV would work, I have serious reservations about that route, ESPECIALLY on a 2nd hand eV. And any new car is out of my financial league at present, or the foreseeable future.

This is long post (sorry), and SCoA participation appears to be much less than it used to be. But feedback is what I'm after. Take the money and buy a point A to point B car I don't like, take option 2 and try to fix it up, or take option 2 and try to sell it to another party. That third option gives me $2,153.07 plus whatever I can get for the car.

Since you asked. Take the $3400 plus your electronics upgrades and run.
Face it, you are talking about a 2008 smart with 108,000 miles on it and your being offered $3400:eek:
run run fast.

*Reminder In bold are things wrong with your smart, PLUS you have to add in the hurricane damage too.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
That’s a good price, for a 2008 smart car. With your milage. They offering you. Taking your electronics. I go ahead take it. Find a another car. Lots of cheap used smart cars out there, to buy. Don’t sink money into a old car.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
If I were in the same situation with Tucker I'd take Option 2. There was that time in 2016 I was willing to throw him under the bus and I'm glad it didn't happen that way.

My 2012 does that transmission thing somewhat often. I have no idea what causes it other than the transmission computer not getting a perfect 12V. It especially happens if I redline or drive near top speed a lot.

My argument against keeping the car would be the roof. Repairing it would cost more than the insurance would give you. Of course, if the roof doesn't matter that much I'd definitely be a solid vote for Option 2.

If you take Option 3, you may get just enough money to get a far more recent 451, which will have fewer issues even in the long term, but wouldn't be your long term baby.

Reactions: NCC1701

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Commander, last year I sold my original 08 carbrio (ordered about the same time back in the dark ages) in perfect Conditon with only 70k on the clock for $3700.00 to a private party via ebay. I was lucky to get that. I in turn purchased a mint 6K 2014 BoConcept Carbrio for around $10K. If it were me I would take the $$, upgrades and run. There are plenty of low mileage smarts out there for little $$. And you may even get a working top.

On a personal note I had something similar to this happen 10 years ago. I had a Volvo 1800s and lost the brakes going down my drive in the Maine woods. Used to tree to stop from entering the roadway. State Farm gave me the same kinda deal. I took the option of $$ and kept the car since the repairs weren't much.... or so I thought. Anyway less than 2 weeks later I found a perfect replacement for little $$ and ended up selling the damaged one for less than I received from the insurance company.... my bad. Good luck and I hope whatever you decide keeps you in the smart family.. Too many of our early members "left the building".

Also you don't need to take the first offer... See if they are willing to add a little to the pie.

·
He's not mine
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*Reminder In bold are things wrong with your smart, PLUS you have to add in the hurricane damage too.
You bolded that it's a 2008 smart. I know from your past posts that you view the 2008 model year as being inferior (EDIT)- I had you confused with Miss Mercedes. In over a decade of driving the car, I've never agreed with that.

But, I thank you for your advice, aside from that.

If Progressive takes possession, no doubt the car will be junked. I'm pretty certain an enthusiast would pay $1,000 for a parts car.

You may be right. I haven't decided, but need to in the next day or two. And, I need transportation. I've checked on used smart prices, they're all above $5,000, that's the low end.

·
He's not mine
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Commander, last year I sold my original 08 carbrio (ordered about the same time back in the dark ages) in perfect Conditon with only 70k on the clock for $3700.00
I'd snatch a deal like that! But, haven't yet found anything near that.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,969 Posts

This is long post (sorry), and SCoA participation appears to be much less than it used to be. But feedback is what I'm after.

Sorry for your misfortune with the hurricane! As one of the early 2008 adopters, your miles, mechanical/cabrio top issues and now hurricane (any water damage?) damage would suggest that you move to a replacement.

Seems a more than fair offer from the insurance company but you might ask them where you can find a roadworthy replacement within 200 miles at their payoff value - try for a $500 bump?

Your electronics were nice but bear in mind that their value is greater to you than in the resale marketplace?

Although we recently scored on a $5,000 Garage Queen (15,000 mile) MY09 cabrio Brabus I'd suggest you try to move up to the MY13 face lift smart.

As an ED owner for now on 4 years, I think you would find the infrastructure lacking AND as your area is hurricane prone gas may be more readily available than electricity during a disaster???

·
He's not mine
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about this 2013 Passion with 27k in AL for with a BIN of $5995 current bid of $1100 on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Smart...4fb8a9ca:g:UhAAAOSwQhBcJ8eq:rk:4:pf:0&vxp=mtr
I'm giving this a hard look. Delivery is $417 and has to be considered. I think I'd more likely find a way up there and drive it home myself though.
It's the wrong color and it's not a cabrio. But, with less than 30K on the clock it is attractive.

I'll think about putting in a bid, four days to watch.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
In the process of front end repair for the 2nd time, I got a complete front end from Autobahn with shipping for about $1,000 and put it together myself. now 2 yrs later, hit another deer and ordered a fender and headlight for under $400. Windshield is around $300 fender is around $150, wiper is $38.... might be worth it to take the cash and fix it yourself unless the door hinge is rally damaged. I could see it fixed for under $2K (just a guess)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
In the process of front end repair for the 2nd time, I got a complete front end from Autobahn with shipping for about $1,000 and put it together myself. now 2 yrs later, hit another deer and ordered a fender and headlight for under $400. Windshield is around $300 fender is around $150, wiper is $38.... might be worth it to take the cash and fix it yourself unless the door hinge is rally damaged. I could see it fixed for under $2K (just a guess)
But then he has an 08 with over 100K and the top doesn't work. I don't think the Commander can do all the work himself as you are able to. However maybe the "Green Frog"is still around.:shrug:

·
He's not mine
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for your misfortune with the hurricane! As one of the early 2008 adopters, your miles, mechanical/cabrio top issues and now hurricane (any water damage?) damage would suggest that you move to a replacement.
Thanks.

There was no water damage, just flying debris.

- try for a $500 bump?
Insurance companies do that?

Your electronics were nice but bear in mind that their value is greater to you than in the resale marketplace?
No doubt about that. But, even at half price, the speakers alone are worth $1000. Then there's the cruise control and amp ($600 new). I intend to leave the GPS head unit in place, even though I paid a fortune for it. I was never 100% happy with it and it's close to a decade out of date.

Although we recently scored on a $5,000 Garage Queen (15,000 mile) MY09 cabrio Brabus I'd suggest you try to move up to the MY13 face lift smart.
You have my envy for that score!

If possible, I'd like to stick with a newer 451. Too bad blue/silver isn't available.

As an ED owner for now on 4 years, I think you would find the infrastructure lacking AND as your area is hurricane prone gas may be more readily available than electricity during a disaster???
Panama City is no more hurricane prone than the rest of the Gulf coast. It was just our time. And man, did we get a doozy.

Infrastructure may be a problem. But, ICE was no real advantage after the storm. Neither gasoline nor electricity were available for several weeks. Gotta have power to pump gas. But I've never been wild about smart EV. Just that in my current situation it would suffice for range.

I got my first post-storm tankful by driving a dozen miles to the less hard hit west side of town, where power had already been restored. None at my house for another week.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,969 Posts
Then there's the cruise control . . .

ICE was no real advantage after the storm. Neither gasoline nor electricity were available for several weeks. Gotta have power to pump gas.

I got my first post-storm tankful by driving a dozen miles to the less hard hit west side of town, where power had already been restored. None at my house for another week.
If you are moving into another 451, CC will prove very valuable especially if it is an AREA 451!

ICE advantage after a storm - full tank of gas and a five gallon can! EV not so lucky as I have yet to figure out how to get those electrons into a can???

Don't forget to make sure that any "deal" includes 2 functional key fobs or discount your offer accordingly.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
But then he has an 08 with over 100K and the top doesn't work. I don't think the Commander can do all the work himself as you are able to. However maybe the "Green Frog"is still around.:shrug:
but then mine had 115k miles the first time I rebuilt the front, and now has over 146K miles and still fixing.... first time qas 3 weeks after knee replacement. Still liming and no driveway or garage, and it is a might cool in Minnesota...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts