Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
How about another 08 Cab. There's buzz on ebay right now for l$4500 or best offer with 95 K in Chicago. Have it shipped or con Ms M into a drive to Warm, Sunny Fl for the price of an airplane ticket back to the frozen north. btw the top works...https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Smart-Fortwo-passion-cabriolet/223251639757?hash=item33fad5adcd:g:788AAOSwcZ1b~ksL:rk:29:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Heck yeah! For the cost of the worst possible flight back home I can totally do a delivery. I'll have it from Chicago to Florida in ever so slightly less than a day!

I'm technically also on the lookout for a very broken 2008 to turn into a dedicated offroad rig, however I don't think I'd be able to do that to a car with so much sentimental value

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take the money and run. I agree wit a previous poster you should try to negotiate for a bump. Why leave money on the table?

I paid 5K for my '13 Car 2 Go Pure with 17K miles in July. Power windows, steering, upgraded radio, The problem you'll see is the Cabs go at a premium. You might have to travel a bit to get one. Plenty of late model coupes out there for a steal.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What is this "bump" y'all keep talking about. I've never heard of an insurance settlement being negotiable. The adjuster who visited me gave every impression to me that the figures were cast in stone.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm checking out a lot of ideas you've provided.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,033 Posts
Bump - in offer during NEGOTIATIONS.

Argument, nothing available at settlement offer ask for $500 more - all that can happen is you might get $250 more or the answer no???

Or, if you plan to keep the salvage car ask for a discount off that value? After all, you would save them the tow/salvage charge if it is still on your property.

Doesn’t hurt to ask...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had actually done that when I totaled a '95 Honda Civic back in 2003. Offered to buy back my wreck and was given a price of $500.00 for it. Got a salvage title for it and sold it as is for same amount to my son's friend who wanted a project to work on...

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
If you can prove the higher value of the car in added options by producing receipts or at least a list of 'value added' options, they might increase the value and give you more. worth a try.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Back in 2002, we had a Toyota Previa that was broadsided and totaled. The adjuster offered us a figure and we negotiated for over $1000 more, citing the purchase of a recent set of snow tires and rims, trailer hitch, suspension modifications, and obvious evidence that the interior and exterior were in otherwise very good shape.

·
Registered
318 Posts
So very sorry to hear about your smart. I sold my custom '09 for $3,600 so I could buy the 2017 gas cabrio. Broke my heart. Do try to negotiate with your ins. co. It's worth a shot. Hope you're able to get another cabrio. Stay positive & stay well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So very sorry to hear about your smart. I sold my custom '09 for $3,600 so I could buy the 2017 gas cabrio. Broke my heart. Do try to negotiate with your ins. co. It's worth a shot. Hope you're able to get another cabrio. Stay positive & stay well.
Nothing to offer but sympathy. I was t-boned in September and my 2008 cabrio was out of service for a couple of weeks with relatively minimal damage, but a low-speed front-end collision last month broke the radiator and some other parts, which looked at first as if it was going to total the car since the repairs were such a large portion of the vehicle value. I was looking across the country for possible replacements (be aware that cars.com and others have a lot of inventory listed that's already sold) before we got word that Progressive wasn't going to total it out. I know we're just cheating the reaper, and that one of these days something's going to be irreplaceable (or beyond our ability to justify paying for) but really not looking forward to that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts