Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Regarding VXDiag, it is similar to a VCI just can connect to many vehicle brands. It uses the original software Xentry/DAS whatever it's called. I had problems where the SSD would suddenly erase. I now have 3 and just ordered a 4th. If you've ever tried to recover data from an SSD it's not really possible like an HDD with platters.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I decided to go with the mechanical connect for now...nothing exotic...2.5mmx4mm machine screws..for the cse foils i just placed a small amount of solder under the pad on the connection ....this is still in the trial stages ..will keep everyone posted..
Wood Rectangle Font Symmetry Metal

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
46 Posts
Actually.....the factory utrasonic welds are disturbingly small...its hard to believe, but all of the current flow goes through 5 small welds, each the size of a match head...along with the tab size itself, which is about the same thickness of an aluminum soda can.....The welds are very easy to separate with just a sharp thin blade...With this in mind..I encourage everyone working with Lipos to watch video of a lithium cell fire....it will scare you beyond belief...and that is the kind of caution we need to operate with in this new frontier...Too bad the Smart company didnt make the battery in the Nissan replaceable module format...So much more user friendly..
Engineers from Smart have decided that's how it has to be.
I think Smart was designed by the Swatch company, and Swatch is a Swiss company so ...
i have a few ideas that if successfull could make the battery packs serviceable...we all know that the ultrasonic welding is out of reach for most of us, but i think there might be a way to splice the bus bars on the top....there is some talk of resistance values on the bus bars, but they are copper I believe, and copper is much more repairable than aluminum/copper ultrasonic welds...i intend to leave the welds alone and focus on the top portion of the buss.....From what i have seen..the CSE ribbons are delicate, but solderable...My replacement pouch cells should be showing up this week so I will know more in a few days....Its tragic that companies can make and sell produces like this that are designed to be discarded for what should be a very repairable problem
I don't believe they care too much about us being able to mess around with the internal parts of these vehicles.
All they care about is selling more and more vehicles that are competitive on the international market.
Capitalism at its best.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
46 Posts
Ok a fast feedback, more details later.

2. Forget on DXdiag. They could not go in the necessary details if a battery has an issue. Here the cheapest way is to organise a pass tru xentry with a cheap jtag prot device on the offical way. Or ask the web for alternativ solutions.

All other are only for minor diagnosic but not to solve anything.
Do you have a ready made device that does the job in mind, or it has to be made by someone?
Regards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see that Go Smart in the Ukraine has soldered the tabs together on the top of the bus bars...if you youtube his videos, one of them showes his approach....mine is a bit cleaner but at this time ,still unproven....i still have to clear the P18051C...:(...has anyone found a north american solution yet??

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
@Jmk2020 noted he had shared the details with some NA people and would be willing to share their contact info?.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
For sure :)
There are even some NA online shops offer their help.
As i didn't wanna start a list of all guys please send me PN what you really need and i will help you. Maybe i can share also the necessary hint to go on.

There is no need to send it over the ocean, but if you want also there i can offer you the necessary contacts and help.

At moment we even work on a software optimisation to get rid off some of the most stupid software bugs in the ED3 ECUs :) Stay tuned.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts