Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
New to this forum. The heat went out on my 2015 smart fortwo ed last week. I pulled the hv manual disconnect in order to work on the PTC heater. Made some progress on the heater, and plugged the hv disconnect back in to test it. I am getting the same HV System Workshop message. The closest dealership is 60 miles away. Has anyone found a way to clear this message?
Does the car run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car runs, but this HV System Workshop message is all that will display. I cannot scroll to see the remaining mileage on the battery or to set the time or anything. All I get is this message, and it is rather annoying.

·
Registered
190 Posts
check this out

(source: https://github.com/MyLab-odyssey/ED_BMSdiag/issues/19 link here )

Vioilio's post Feb 3:
"Hi everyone. Its been a while since my last time here. I have been extremely busy the last couple of months and have not had a chance to give any updates.
Charging my battery was success! The car is currently getting used on a dally basis and no problems so far.
To answer some of the questions here:
All users above that asked for help with "HV Workshop Message". You must have Star Diag Mercedes diagnostic system. You must clear all errors and you must run software restart on all modules. If both of the batteries are charged this will take care of any residual problems after charging the HV battery.
It is the same for user "minorukurata". Clear all error codes with Star DAS and restart the software on all modules. If both of the batteries are charged and you do not have error code P18051c you should be able to start and drive your car. "

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would be careful having MB touch your vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone else taking their car to MB to clear the message and they screwed things up, requiring a battery replacement of over $10,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be careful having MB touch your vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone else taking their car to MB to clear the message and they screwed things up, requiring a battery replacement of over $10,000.
If not MB then where? MB is going to be the only place that will have the MB Star diagnostic system required to clear this code.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I seriously doubt that they screwed anything up, they simply decided to go for the default (and also very lucrative) thing to tell the customer - that they needed a new impossibly expensive HV battery and so they can get one more hated Smart ED off the road. The level of downright animosity that my local MB dealer has for the Smart generally and the ED particularly has to be seen to be believed.

By yes, take it to the dealer with BS detectors set on "high". Also, definitely ask them to perform Service campaign No. 2016060002 - BMS Software update, if it has not already been done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been getting the HV no start error messages lately at random times.
It seems to happen only when I see it not charging.
The fix I discovered it remove 12v battery Neg terminal for a few secs, then reconnect.
Starts charging right away and starts up no problem.
Seems to be ok for a week or so before errors again.
I think I have a contactor going bad, unsure.
12v batt is new, that did not cure the issue, new batts in keys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been getting the HV no start error messages lately at random times.
It seems to happen only when I see it not charging.
The fix I discovered it remove 12v battery Neg terminal for a few secs, then reconnect.
Starts charging right away and starts up no problem.
Seems to be ok for a week or so before errors again.
I think I have a contactor going bad, unsure.
12v batt is new, that did not cure the issue, new batts in keys.
If that is all it takes, you are essentially rebooting the system, (1st law of computer: when in doubt, reboot.). Great! Add an on-off switch to your cable to make it easier, and you’re all set!

Questions, is this on a 451 or 453? What year?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts