Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
New to this forum. The heat went out on my 2015 smart fortwo ed last week. I pulled the hv manual disconnect in order to work on the PTC heater. Made some progress on the heater, and plugged the hv disconnect back in to test it. I am getting the same HV System Workshop message. The closest dealership is 60 miles away. Has anyone found a way to clear this message?
Does the car run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car runs, but this HV System Workshop message is all that will display. I cannot scroll to see the remaining mileage on the battery or to set the time or anything. All I get is this message, and it is rather annoying.

·
Registered
208 Posts
check this out

(source: https://github.com/MyLab-odyssey/ED_BMSdiag/issues/19 link here )

Vioilio's post Feb 3:
"Hi everyone. Its been a while since my last time here. I have been extremely busy the last couple of months and have not had a chance to give any updates.
Charging my battery was success! The car is currently getting used on a dally basis and no problems so far.
To answer some of the questions here:
All users above that asked for help with "HV Workshop Message". You must have Star Diag Mercedes diagnostic system. You must clear all errors and you must run software restart on all modules. If both of the batteries are charged this will take care of any residual problems after charging the HV battery.
It is the same for user "minorukurata". Clear all error codes with Star DAS and restart the software on all modules. If both of the batteries are charged and you do not have error code P18051c you should be able to start and drive your car. "

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would be careful having MB touch your vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone else taking their car to MB to clear the message and they screwed things up, requiring a battery replacement of over $10,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be careful having MB touch your vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone else taking their car to MB to clear the message and they screwed things up, requiring a battery replacement of over $10,000.
If not MB then where? MB is going to be the only place that will have the MB Star diagnostic system required to clear this code.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I seriously doubt that they screwed anything up, they simply decided to go for the default (and also very lucrative) thing to tell the customer - that they needed a new impossibly expensive HV battery and so they can get one more hated Smart ED off the road. The level of downright animosity that my local MB dealer has for the Smart generally and the ED particularly has to be seen to be believed.

By yes, take it to the dealer with BS detectors set on "high". Also, definitely ask them to perform Service campaign No. 2016060002 - BMS Software update, if it has not already been done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been getting the HV no start error messages lately at random times.
It seems to happen only when I see it not charging.
The fix I discovered it remove 12v battery Neg terminal for a few secs, then reconnect.
Starts charging right away and starts up no problem.
Seems to be ok for a week or so before errors again.
I think I have a contactor going bad, unsure.
12v batt is new, that did not cure the issue, new batts in keys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been getting the HV no start error messages lately at random times.
It seems to happen only when I see it not charging.
The fix I discovered it remove 12v battery Neg terminal for a few secs, then reconnect.
Starts charging right away and starts up no problem.
Seems to be ok for a week or so before errors again.
I think I have a contactor going bad, unsure.
12v batt is new, that did not cure the issue, new batts in keys.
If that is all it takes, you are essentially rebooting the system, (1st law of computer: when in doubt, reboot.). Great! Add an on-off switch to your cable to make it easier, and you’re all set!

Questions, is this on a 451 or 453? What year?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am getting the workshop message more often now. I also saw a few others and saved them. I know when I have a problem when I plug it in to charge and just get the flashing bars on speedo. I take off the neg 12v batt terminal, wait a few secs, then reconnect and the error is gone and charging works just fine. I think it is a contactor error, I also saw a precharge error. Any ideas? Since it is in my battery, I think, I prob have no warranty or coverage at all. So I guess I just keep resetting it as I have been. Battery still at 95 to 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 12V died because I didn’t use the car for 2 months while I had A torn knee meniscu. I charged the 12V and the HV pack came up from <5% to 100% overnight. Now I have the HV System Workshop taking over my display. My nearest dealer is 100 miles away in Charlotte or Atlanta and since the Smart can’t make that trip I am stuck as well. I bought an OBD reset tool but no luck resetting the code. I really hope that I don’t have to tow the car both ways to just have MB reset the code. I am out of ideas anyone able to help with any ideas. I am pretty frustrated and have Googled myself to death.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another possible issue could simply be a poor ground connection? This has happened to me. A voltage measurement across the two 12v battery posts, should match exactly a measurement from the positive post to a clean metal ground location anywhere on the car. A resistance measurement from the neg post to anywhere there is a clean metal location on the body should be zero. Firmly wiggling the neg terminal to ground strap at either end (wear gloves) should produce no fluctuations in either measurement, and should have absolutely no movement. IF even slightly loose, disconnect, re-clean thoroughly and reattach firmly with adequate terminal grease to remove any carbonation or oxidation to any locations.

It's a shame Smart built an electric vehicle and kept in what's essentially a heavy antiquated lead acid starter battery for an internal combustion engine. Not Smart at all. WTF is right with this? :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
It's a shame Smart built an electric vehicle and kept in what's essentially a heavy antiquated lead acid starter battery for an internal combustion engine. Not Smart at all. WTF is right with this? :eek:
And what would you suggest in lieu of an old school 12v starter battery?

Seems to be the gold standard for Tesla & Leaf too. The Hyundai IONIC Blue hybrid appears to be the first to utilize a Lithium starter battery.

"Some owners may be surprised to learn their car includes a 12v lead-acid battery. We’ll explain why and delve into everything about the 12v battery used in Tesla vehicles today."

A couple good reads ...

And although expensive, Ohmmu in Tempe, AZ has been selling TESLA & Leaf 12v Lithium batteries since 2016.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts