Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,341 Posts
This is already a topic of several other threads. Bottom line is that there is some unconfirmed belief that maybe that update might eliminate HV batteries "bricking" when the 12v battery goes bad.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find it hard to imagine how an HV battery could "brick" from a 12V battery going bad.... But there is an awful lot that I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
1,341 Posts
Agreed, but there have been way too many incidents of an HV battery "bricking" after a 12v battery went bad, particularly it seems if it sat several days like that. Is there a computer glitch that causes that that is now fixed with the 2016 update? We are trying to figure it all out so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Len

·
Registered
124 Posts
A cooperating/helpful service tech/dealership should be able to answer that for you via a phone call or e-mail. Sometimes they are hard to find though. My dealership in Cary, NC is very helpful. You can try contacting them, giving them your VIN and asking if there are any outstanding service campaigns for your car.

Len
Please look at my screenshots and video of my ECU, they look ok to me but may still be the source of my HV errors.
I still have codes for my dc to dc converter and other errors.
I can drive and charge it again, my 12v battery is at 12.9 when off and 14.6 after it starts.
let me know your opinion.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I find it hard to imagine how an HV battery could "brick" from a 12V battery going bad.... But there is an awful lot that I don't know.
The working hypothesis is that the bricking happens as a result of a bug-or a feature in the packs BMS firmware, which discharges the HV pack completely flat if the 12V syatem is de-energized for more than a few days. Another hypothesis is that the new firmware prevents the bricking by preventing the 12V battery from discharging flat by periodically turning the DC-DC converter on to top the 12V battery off even when the car is parked. I once, prior to the firmware update, flattened my 12V battery when I left the parking lights on I promptly recharged it with an external charger and everything was fine - no codes. I am tempted to test this failure mode again since I got the firmware update, but have some well-founded fears of doing so.

It is a fact that in cases where the HV pack has bricked (specifically, the BMS deliberately self-discharges the pack completely flat - less than 1/2 volt per cell), some DIYers have resurrected it by removing the pack, drilling out the rivets and opening up the pack and carefully recharging the cells with a bench top power supply, then sending the pack's BMS module to an obscure shop in the Ukraine for re-flashing. There is also a bus-bar-mounted current sensor (replacements of which are very difficult to obtain becasue MB policy is that nobody is supposed to ever open the battery pack) that must be removed before recharging the cells or it fails too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Going a few days now, saw the message momentarily this AM, but started right up.
I giggled the wires on right side near hatch to get it started, no problems since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well...I've made an appointment at the local MB dealer to get Campaign 2016060002 applied on this coming Friday. Hope they don't screw up my HV battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well...I'm at MB right now. They pulled up my VIN and the 2016060002 Campaign has already been applied. Most likely because my car is a 2016 model year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My battery was installed new in 2017, mine is pure wire issues, need to move them with my hand when errors come up.

I also get the contactor errors too

41 - 50 of 50 Posts