Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really pushed the temperature setting to 80 until recently.

However my ED doesn't blow any hot air.

Is this normal for folks living colder states?
My drive to work is only 30 minutes so I am not sure if this car takes a while to warm up.

Thank God the seat warmer works really fast.

·
Registered
210 Posts
agreed with above... you should have instant hot air at 80 or "high" mode... norcal has finally gotten colder and windows take a decade to defrost, so say sayonara to range... lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a call from my dealership.

HVAC stepper motor needs to be replaced and I have to wait a week for the part from Germany.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never really pushed the temperature setting to 80 until recently.

However my ED doesn't blow any hot air.

Is this normal for folks living colder states?
My drive to work is only 30 minutes so I am not sure if this car takes a while to warm up.

Thank God the seat warmer works really fast.
We just received delivery of our 2015 ED and we aren't getting any hot air at all, just a bit of lukewarm air. I figured it was was because it was an electric car and perhaps took longer to warm up. Glad I came across your response. It's going to get chilly here in NC soon. I'll try to call the dealer tomorrow. Any updates on your heater issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2015 ED takes about 10min. to get heat. It's not instant, but does get warm, just a bit slower than the '08 ice we had. N. IL here, 10 degrees over last weekend and looking at 0's next week.

·
Registered
456 Posts
thats not normal.. my ED even in -20c temperature got hot air within 60 seconds
I concur. My 2015 ED produces significant heat in less than one minute. When I set the departure time at least 10 minutes in the future the cabin is toasty when I leave.

·
Registered
527 Posts
thats not normal.. my ED even in -20c temperature got hot air within 60 seconds
That is my experience as well. Instant heat. Just like having a toaster in the cabin, it's an electric heating element with a fan. Pretty easy to get hot air fast.

However, there is a condition where the heater will provide sub-standard heating. I blogged about my experience with leaving my Smart ED parked out in a -24C day (-35C with wind chill!). The battery needed a few minutes to heat, and during that time, the cabin heater wasn't nearly as effective as usual:
Smart Electric Drive: Crazy cold and the battery heater

·
Registered
78 Posts
I drove a friend's ED and the heat was really quick!! even quicker than my Chevy volt and I thought that had quick heat.. MUCH QUICKER than I get heat out of my 2015 ICE Smart
-Christopher

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my ED in for it's annual battery maintenance last month and after I received the car back I heard a loud (very startling and annoying) repeated clicking noise in the dashboard (center-passenger side). I called the dealer about the issue and they scheduled me another appointment.

After a week driving the car the clicking noise got a bit quieter, but was still noticeably there when I dropped it off at the dealer for service. They said it was a defective HVAC stepper motor. They said the noise was the stepper motor gear teeth self destructing. The replacement took 3 days to arrive and get installed.

I'm glad the issue presented itself before the winter season finely made its way to south Texas. My heater definitely kicks on full strength within 60 seconds.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The heater in my one week old 2015 ED with less than 200 miles on it quit working on the way home last night. I did some playing around with it and discovered that if I slid the temperature slider all the way up to maximum I would get heat. Clearly the heating element is functional so the issue with my car appears to be something in the temperature control circuitry.

Has anybody who had the heater issue had it fixed yet? If so, what was the problem? I suppose it is possible that my car has the HVAC stepper motor issue, but I didn't hear any clicking or grinding before the heater quit. Thoughts?

I don't have a lot of confidence that my local smart dealer will be able to diagnose the issue without help. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I mentioned the wind chill to outline that it wasn't just a brutally cold day, it was a cold blustery day, and the pack was "cold soaked" for 9 hours. The fact that this little 2014 model year electric car has a pack conditioning system that works in these conditions demonstrates the high degree of testing and proving out that must have been done prior to releasing this car to the public. Daimler should be proud of this little wonder car!

Remember, as I blogged, my hands were frozen to the point where I couldn't detect heat/cold within a few minutes of getting into the car, it was crazy cold!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts